Author Topic: the shadow gardener continues  (Read 4268 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
the shadow gardener continues
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »
The "furnishing' of a garden area can be considered as a challenge, possibly resulting in new and enriching experiences. At least, let's hope. I'm myself a voracious reader of garden books, they make me loose every sense of time. But from time to time the armchair gardener has to break loose, take his spade and try out the ideas he has accumulated and not yet forgotten.
This is how I got it in my head to start gardening in dappled shadow beween hazels, willows and mountain-ashes. The soil has to be ameliorated as it is heavy and dry. Although, when I think this over there was already a lurking interest in shadowplants. I tried some of them already in the previous years. For example the attractive Saxifraga rotundifolia (see att. nr. 912-1)
I had observed the play of the continuous changing of light and shadow, depending on the sun's course and the different seasons. I learned the danger of morning shadow followed by heavy midday sun. The leaves of a young Acer shirasawanum aureum seemed very sensible for this situation and were all burned. During the heat-wave last summer nature made it very clear to me where exactly the garden needed shadow or still more of it. Some of my plants stood unprotected in blazing sun and I had to put up textile screens for temporary shadow. These places are marked now and there will be planted some shrub or little tree now in autumn to provide natural shadow. In that way the structure of this part of the garden was not only shaped by my personal taste but also and perhaps even more by the needs of this particular kind of plants. Getting established plants under already full-grown shrubs and trees means a lot of concurrence between the first and the roots of the latter. You also have to keep an eye on the regular watering of the newcomers, certainly in the first year. There is also to consider the interplay between the temperatures and the air dampness. A shadowplant bears the heath better when the air he's growing in is moister. So there have a few components to be taken in consideration in order to create this mini-biotope with good result. The soil is important, the size of the boughs and also the fact if there is some kind of windbreak. The plants can't stand drying, sharp winds. At the northern side of this garden there is a thick privet hedge.
Sofar the theory. What did I do with my bare hands the last few days? I planted between the roots of an elder 30 bulbs of Corydalis solida (see add. nr 1030-1 and nr. 1025-1) and a Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica' (add. nr. 1027-1). And took pictures of them to let you look at it all behind my shoulder.
Who of you, observing lot, has experience with this kind of gardening?  Perhaps we can adjudge a price for best suggestion. What do you think, George?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:30:44 AM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: the shadow gardener continues
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:18:16 PM »
I'll post a few plants which I have in my side garden. Its on the sunny south side of the house, right outside my "develpment office".

However, it gets little or no sun in summer, as shade is provided by a garage on the East side (cuts out morning sun), a large Ash tree (cuts out midday sun), a very old Damson tree and a Rowan tree (Sorbus) which cut out late afternoon sun. The plants would be lucky to get 1 hour of sunshine at a certain time per day. Compound that with the fact that this is Ireland, so not a lot of sun at the best of time!
Those trees are all there since my dad lived here, and he passed away in 1984.
They are all deciduous. Thus, Ive purposely developed it as a spring garden to take advantage of the sun that gets through those bare branches. I have tulips, Crocus, daffodills, Primulas (vulgaris, veris and denticulata), Azaleas, Camellias, Rhodos, Japanese maples...
(I'll edit this later with more)

My dads favourite plant is STILL growing under that Rowan, about 4 ft from the base of a very thick trunk. Its a Paeonia officinalis 'Rubra Plena'. It must be 30 years old, and more.

In mid summer theres very little, so I haul pots of the common Container plants into position.

In Autumn, theres Tradescantia, Cyclamen coum, Cyclamen hederifolium, Anemone japonica (varieties) did very well this year. Also that Saxifraga, (same as yours), so Ive posted a photo with its companions:
Ajuga, Gentiana (it get a splash of late afternoon, evening sun), Alchemilla conjuncta, Fuchsia - always appears very late in the season, very late flowering - none this year!

If you really must plant something to shade your Acer 'Aureum', how about a Hydrangea?
I read that they grow in light shade, so I've planted a few lacecaps (see photo) in a very dark corner. They produce lots of foliage, and a few flowers. I think they are improving in flowering performance each year.

Ive got a Delphinium in that same dark corner, planted behind the Hydrangeas from where I sit looking out.

Theres a 3ft (1m) path alongide the garage wall and running parallel to that Ive planted climbers.
Ive selected Clematis varieties which fade in sun, and prefer to face North, and can tolerate shade (e.g. Nelly Moser)
Also Hydrangea peteolaris.

I'm certain I read once that Day Lillies (Hemerocallis) can be grown in shade. However, the RHS A-Z says:
Dry conditions and excessive shade will reduce flowering: some red and purple flowered cultivars do not tolerate heavy rainfall and very hot sun. Must try one in that plot. Mind you, if I leave them alone, they'll probably get there without my assistance. They are self seeding all over the place in their current sunny location.

Finally, I bought a woodlander plant this year which was quite unknown to me .Tricyrtis (see photo).
I'd describe it as a Plantsmans plant. Well, a man on a galloping horse would not be impressed. You'd have to get close to observe the small flowers in late summer/early autumn on top of lush green foliage.
They have the most exquisite markings!
You could also try Trillium.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 10:44:15 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:38:35 PM »
Hydrangea

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:40:53 PM »
My Hemerocallis
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 10:47:59 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »
My Tricyrtis (How DO you pronounce that!!)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:39:12 PM »
This seems to me already a well established plant collection, George.
I read you inherited this garden from your father, I understand, with the trees and Paeonia officinalis he cherished. I think this can be an ideal situation if the consecutive generations have the knack for plants and gardening. In that way a single gardener's dedication is embedded in a bigger time frame. Isn't that exactly wath nature and gardening can teach us in an area wherin individualisation and gaining quick money are sanctified as new religion? To me - but this is indeed a strict personal consideration - to be a part of a continuing line gives me a reassuring and agreeable feeling, a remedy against fatalism. I take the spade and wheelbarrow, enjoy tending the earth and experiencing my own convenient truth.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:23:04 PM »
Yes, it was my dads garden. Mind you, he grew hens in the back garden and plants in the front and sides. I didnt start gardening until I moved back home. Ive a few little "shrine" areas where I preserve his original plants (a few climbing Roses, Viburnum tinus, Escallonia)
I dont know if any of my 3 grown ups (have to stop calling them children!) will follow on the tradition. I remind them that its in their genes  :)
I'm doing my best to get rid of the mistakes I've made and leave something of interest.

RE: In that way a single gardener's dedication is embedded in a bigger time frame
Indeed! I have great admiration, but often feel sorry for the often unknown/forgotton people who planted Trees. They had such great vision, but in many cases they never lived to see their creations, and certainly had no chance to learn from their mistakes!
Its nice when a house stays in the family for generations, isnt it. Is this Shadow Garden in youir mothers property?

So, take pride in what you are doing. Youve got our attention in your exciting project.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 06:11:35 PM »
This garden is situated around my house. The other one is much larger and functions in fact as my own nursery.
These days I planted two Euonymus alatus, a slow groing shrub (it will reach the height of 2 meters in 10 years), it's not conspicuous at all during most of the year, but has a spectacular autumn colouration (see ill. 1039 and 1046).
In my previous message you could read I planted already a Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica'. Today it got a companion: Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina' (ill. 1050).  I was inspired by the book "The Scented Garden" written by Eleanour Sinclair Rohde (London, The Medici Society, 1936. First edition in 1931). She writes on page 174: "Best of all for the garden are the early and late Dutch varieties - Lonicera belgica and L. serotina." One has to know his classics. The writer continues: "Honeysuckle, or woodbind, has always been the symbol of faithful love." You never know. For the latinophiles between us: the species name 'periclymenum' signifies 'climber'.
As my intention is to create a wood edge I've searched and found a place for another tree: a Parrotia persica (ill. 1047). It's related to the Hamamelis and flowers before it breaks in leaves. The flowers are not fragrant but colourful (bright red). It's also a beauty in autumn.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:30:36 PM by greenfinger »