Author Topic: Blight!  (Read 2793 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Blight!
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:11:37 PM »
I received this email this morning from Blightwatch.
http://www.blightwatch.co.uk/

A Smith Period alert is in place today for at least one of your chosen postcode area(s).
A 'Full' Smith Period occurs when the following criteria are met on 2 consecutive days:-
•   Minimum air temperatures are at least 10°C
•   Relative Humidity is 90% or above for at least 11 hours

I managed to get a short break from my new nursing duties to get my spuds sprayed!
Pleased to see they are growing well.

Does anyone else grow potatoes?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:13:59 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Blight!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:27:43 AM »
We haven't grown potatoes for years , a pity really because there is nothing to beat a spud freshly dug out of the soil. My father always grew his own potatoes but I didn't follow in his footsteps.

Eric. H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
I grow only British Queens now (and I doubt if any of our boys follow in my footsteps!). They are usually ready for digging in August and there is nothing to beat them for a lovely flowery spud. Not everyone's preference, but sure is for us. We have to steam them when cooking (easy) otherwise they boil into mulch.
Mind you, they are high maintenance and stressful - they usually need sprayed when its a rainy period so difficult to find an opportunity :-\

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
We keep an eye on the professional growers with fields of potatoes all round us, when they spray, we spray. They have not even begun with the water cannon yet.