Author Topic: making room and choices  (Read 3773 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
making room and choices
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »
The territorium of this area is limited so I have to practise usury a bit with space.
I begin with removing an elder and the old stub of an earlier felled conifer. Uprooting is hard labour, but you can make use of the leverage when you don't saw the shrubs or trees right down to the ground but keep a stub of let's say one meter length. Let the rules of physica do their part of the work.
At the foreground is a young acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:30:03 AM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: making room and choices
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:55:58 AM »
You're a brave man Frodo!

Its a fine photo, and a bold project! We look forward to tracking your progress.

Ive had to uproot a few elders when I started off in my garden, so I can sympathise with you André. As always, its best to get them out as soon as you see them.
Same goes for Ash trees (I notice you are blessed with their seedlings from reading you other thead in this topic.)
If I can get to mine on time I can pulll them up, long tap root and all.

Ive noticed that "atropurpureum" acers lose their "purpureum" in shade, and tend to wander towards dark green. Bloodgood is one of the best purple leaved varieties. Is yours losing its purple colour a little in that location?

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »
I've attached two pictures of two specimens of "atropurpureum" acers in my garden. The first (the one you are referring to) stands in full soil in light to half shadow. It's colours are not that brilliant: some kind of grey-green, rather dirty bordeaux. The other one remained in a pot in the half shadow of a big willow. Here the colours are much brighter although it received no more sun than the other one.
About elders: I like the fragrant blossoms of this shrub, for this reason I'm never too quick to remove them.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:52:33 PM »
I like them both! I shoulkd have said that I do actually like the green hues in the Acers I have in shade. They are probably more interesting as theres a variation of leaf colour over each plant.

They are such fantastic plants, arent they!

RE: Elder
Well, I got surfin'
It was really to find out more about elderberry wine!
But, first hit, and this came up:
http://www.whitedragon.org.uk/articles/elder.htm
Some little things in there for a number of our members who have told me they have hobbies other than gardening.

Some recipe ideas for Isabell?
They can also be mixed with other seasonal fruits and used for pies, jams, vinegar, ketchup and chutney. Too numerous to go into here, but some excellent recipes can be found in old herbals such as Mrs Grieves Modern Herbal.

For Judi, our beader friend:
The hollowed out stems make natural beads, which are very easy and satisfying to make. Cut a young branch into bead-sized pieces with secateurs, then scrape off the bark and sand, first with a rough sandpaper and then with a finer one.

and for moi, protection from those darn midgets in spring!!
An infusion of the leaves, rubbed into the skin, will prevent mosquitoes, midges and flies settling on you. A spray of leaves worn in the hat also helps.

Bless you my child (well, you'll read about that as well!)

p.s. perhaps you should have a read over the last paragraph????
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:56:11 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:37:12 AM »
One of the removed elders is shredded. Fine fresh material for the compost heap.