Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 4633 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Windows 10
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
I was on 8.1 using it quiet happily, windows 10 kept on asking me to upgrade and i kept on saying NO, the other day i went out, came back in and windows 10 was automatically upgrading on my laptop and i just had to leave it to do its thing, i did not want window 10 after reading all the horror stories, surprisingly though it all works so far, i read horror stories of the email not working, it does though, it seems actually nicer than the email on 8.1, i am still finding out bits on it like Microsoft Edge, so far though i like windows 10

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
It's a worry if that installer ran without your consent Phil.
Its nice to see someone posting a good report about upgrading to W10.
If I were on W8 I would go for it ;D I hate that version.

My development machine is W7 and I don't want to upgrade.
I have to keep 2 other laptops with W8 and W10 for supporting users of our Bank Genie and ideas Genie software.
I like the File explorer in W7 better and I use it a lot.

Offline barryl

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »
I am very happy with Windows 7 and would not upgrade. If I were using windows 8 or 8,1 I probably would.

Apart from anything else I am heavily into using dos scripting and so would be forced to do a lot of my work using a DOSBOX with seems a  bit retrograde.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
No 10 for us either as a lot of the stuff we use will not work on it. Some of them only work on 7 by luck rather than design.
It did try to up date it for us without me agreeing, but I stopped it by turning off the internet and doing a System restore.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
The installer did indeed start on its own  ???, and by the time i got back it was practically done, i considered disconnecting but i thought what if i am to late and it is done anyway just left it do its thing

Offline barryl

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
Piece of luck! To see what would happen I clicked on "install windows 10" icon in the systray and it told me windows 10 could not be installed as my CPU is not compatible.

I am not sure I believe that (I have an Intel i5) but it maybe because my hard drives are set to compatibility mode in the BIOS (but I dont believe that either).

Anyway I was not going to let it run! I wanted to see what it said.

meanwhile at least once a day I get "do you want to install windows 10 now or this evening?"

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
Our problem is that it would use up all our Download allowance for the month.