Author Topic: Hi and help plz  (Read 5052 times)

Offline johnbarry

Hi and help plz
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:59 PM »
Hi to everyone on here, Bank Genie is new to, I am slowly getting there.

I will say George provides an excellent after sales service and is glad to help.

Earlier he helped me with import issues and setting up/using after import. I have made one important error, I used the backup, but then thought where is my account that I just backed up.

I assume it's in the BankGenie Pro 4 folder on C: Drive, not in User Documents, it's in Program files. Not sure if my master account is there, but it shouldn't be. I never keep any documents on C: as I am forever changing the OS (via True Image) thus losing my master account.

On installing Bank Genie I did notice it asked for a drive to use. If this is the case and I use D: drive will Bank Genie work OK, setup on D: not C:

I hope you understand ( I Do) :o
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:13:55 PM by johnbarry »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Hi and help plz
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
        Thank you for your kind comments John.

I will reply to explain the things I do understand.

• Start Bank Genie.
          Click the Help tab.
          Use the program About Bank Genie
          Item 6, the Core Data folder, is where your live data is stored.
        • Never do a backup to Program Files folder, or its sub folders
        • For security, backups should be done to an external device - external drive or Flash Drive/Memory Stick
        • During installation - do not change the default installation folder

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:52:59 PM by ideasguy »

Offline johnbarry

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
Thanks ideasguy

I think I did see it in app data, backups are not the problem.

The problem is, say I have been using Bank Genie for a couple of weeks and all my transactions are up to date and stored in bank genie/app data.

Then all of a sudden I have a problem with Windows 10 (not genie related) I will re install a Win 10 backup to the last known stable one.

This will overite C: and all it's contents (Bank Genie Account in app data) gone.

Untill Bank Genie I never store any important data on C I don't use Documnts folder. They are on a D: drive (only recent files) and backed up on a USB tetra (only plugged in when needed)

The only way round this if I lost C data, is to hope a backup file will put it back on C. This I did with quicken/M$ Money files.

ie if I refresh/replace/restore Windows 10 I open my backup (quicken/Money) file and it works.

At this stage I am not sure if my backup (on tetra) of my Bank Genie account will restore to C

Edit:

I tested it and it seems to work,

Edit: Edit:

So forget the above it's all running smoothly now, all but one problem.

My opening balance has now changed, how can I amend the opening balance in the top box, making my transaction add up to the new balance.
Alls  ::)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:33:13 PM by johnbarry »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Under the Setup tab on the menu, use the program My Accounts-BS403.
Double click to edit the account in question.
Takes you to screen BS403S02.
Find and change the opening balance and save your changes.

Offline johnbarry

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »
Sorted, nice one

Cheers

Offline johnbarry

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »

I have used Bankie Genie Pro 4 on XP,  bank Genie has took over my screen with a window of the sea, on the left are menues, there is no menu at the top, if I drag the sea from the top it drags down and shows a full green background, this is blank and I can't do anything with it. I can't get at the bottom/side to re size it only the left side, I can drag it in. but nothing else, I can't drag from the right nor drag the whole window. I have changed my screen size (hoping to see more of the window/s) to no avail.  I can't close it nor get at my taskbar, the only thing I can do is force shut down

Is XP too old for Bank Genie 4

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
Was it like that the first time you opened Bank Genie Pro?

1) With Bank Genie open, try using the shortcut keys:
Alt-spacebar-x
(i.e.Click and hold the alt and spacebar keys and then click X)

-OR-

2) Try this solution posted by Ken Blane:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,2095.0.html

Offline johnbarry

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:54:11 AM »
It was like it since install/open

alt bar x did the trick, nice one George and I only had to do it once, all is fine.

The link takes me to the forum home page, if I paste it into the browser it takes me to the correct page.

I have opened another database and can access it via ransacrions. It will show
on the Home screen, all seems fine. I close all, on re opening the home screen doesn't show the database, only the default My Bank Account. I have to again open another database (as before) all seems fine till I close Bank Genie on re opening I have to do it all again.

it's as though its not saving the database (account) I have opened.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
I phoned John and helped him to achieve his objective.

Bank Genie allow the option "Open this database on startup" when you use BS426 to open another database.
This page explains:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/426/426.html#StartUpFolder

Offline johnbarry

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Sadly you bet me to it, I was going to say.

Again how excellent a service George provides, one couldn't ask for better. As stated it was all sorted with a phone call. Bank Genie is all setup just how I like it and I can now, easly transact my account. It's been a great addition to Windows 10.

It's the knowing what to look for in the guide (the link), altlhough another excellent part of using Bank Genie, is the guide (link) on each page about the page.

My confession, I have lost all interest in reading, I get bored after a couple of lines.