Author Topic: Strolling in September.  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Palustris

Strolling in September.
« on: September 05, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
The first picture though is Jemma
New camera too!
http://s703.photobucket.com/user/Owdboggy/slideshow/September%202015

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Strolling in September.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
Good work again Eric.
Your autumn flowering Sedum's are in bloom earlier than here in Ireland. I tend to ignore them during the summer then value them greatly in late September onwards when most summer flowering plants are on the decline.

Do I see a very pretty little Salvia in there?
I love the smaller varieties - Hot Lips has overwintered in-situ in the garden for a couple of years now. I have a nice collection now and keep some in pots in the cold greenhouse just in case.

The plant with the large leaves - is it a Catalpa?

Do I see Aster × frikartii 'Mönch'?
I love that one as well. Earlier to flower here than the Aster novi-belgii varieties. Lovely pale blue flowers.
Do you have other varieties of that one?
In the Ideas Genie Master Database I see Aster × frikartii 'Eiger', Aster × frikartii 'Flora's Delight', Aster × frikartii 'Jungfrau' and Aster × frikartii 'Wunder von Stäfa'.

OK, and onto your big announcement ;D
What is your new camera?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:40:17 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »
Panasonic FZ72 which has x 60 optical zoom.
No Aster Monch here, it will not survive, tried it half a dozen times and it just fails, as do the others. The Aster was bought as A, himalaicus, but it cannot be as that is only 12 inches tall and ours is a good 3 feet.
No Salvias that I can see either. The only ones we have are the very hardy ones.
The big leafed plant is a severely pollarded Robinia. Cut it down to three buds in February and it produces those great big leaves.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
Lovely pictures ,Eric but I must say I really like the first one of the cat. We have always been cat people rather than dog people in our house, we like their independent spirit. We had a cat once that caught a baby rabbit and popped it iive into our bath. I only became conscious of it when I was shaving and detected movement out of the corner of my eye. I took it outside and released it and it just hopped away in a leisurely fashion.

Eric H

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
If you look back at the posting Strange Fruit in the General Discussion area, the story of how we found her is there. She is a problem in many ways. She attacks the other two cats, so we have had to turn hr into an outdoor cat. We have plenty of dry, protected places for her to sleep. So, now she only comes in to eat. The other cats are much happier now that she is not inside with them at night.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »
Our son, Adam, has two cats in their old farmhouse in Wales. The first black cat had been resident for three or four years before the second, much younger tabby was introduced. They had been adopted by this one at their house in the middle of France. A neighbour in the little hamlet looked after it while Adam made arrangements for it to be quarantined and brought to Wales at great expense. There was great drama when he arrived, when they fought. Eventually they came to a modus vivendi with the old cat occupying the ground floor and the new one the upper floor. They both go freely in and out through the cat flap and find different places to sun themselves in Adam's one acre garden.

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »
By coincidence, my son has just emailed me pictures of the cat in question. Being a French cat it is called Patapon, from the song, "Il etait une begere......"

Eric H

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:06:02 AM »
Purty! or perhaps Tres jolie.

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
That is one laid back cat.