Author Topic: Question about Cheque numbers  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Oscar Romeo

Question about Cheque numbers
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
I have a question.  Not sure if it is silly or not.  It is about cheque numbers.  How can I clear the cheque number register because it defaults to a 4 figure number probably due to an incorrect entry I made sometime ago.  Silly question two.  Is there a difference between Bank Genie Pro and Bank Genie Pro 4?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Question about Cheque numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi Richard
Good to see you on the forum again!

I'll answer part 2 first!
In the beginning (always a good place to start) there was Bank Genie - back in 2005.
When Bank Genie was at version 3, Bank Genie Pro was introduced.
It was referred to as Bank Genie Pro.
When version 4 was released, I began making the distinction on the forum postings - i.e. Bank Genie 4 and Bank Genie Pro 4.
NOTE 1: I may make the occasional slip and omit the version number ::)
NOTE 2: Bank Genie and Bank Genie Pro are always in synch at the same level.

We are now working on Bank Genie Pro 5.

To answer your first question:
The prediction tool was and still is based on cheque numbers entered by the user.
Try browsing through your data using the Transaction Analyser program and correct any Cheque Number errors.
(You can edit Cheque numbers even when statements are reconciled).

Barry (BarryL on the forum) is working closely with me on Bank Genie Pro 5.
I have been refining the cheque number prediction feature in that version - Barry made the suggestion and does the beta testing as he has a number of diverse Bank Genie databases.
When it works for him, it usually works for others (as we discovered when developing the import program to import data from Quicken to Bank Genie Pro 4.
When you change to Bank Genie Pro 5 (planned general release is Q1 2016) we can revisit this topic

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:17:28 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Oscar Romeo

Re: Question about Cheque numbers
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »
Hi George,

I was writing a reply then it seems I lost it.  Anyway Thanks for your helpful answer which helped me solve my problem.  It originated because I was being too picky and entering ATM slip reference numbers in the cheque number box.  Anyway the problem is no longer there thanks to you.

An extra question.  I have an old DELL (Age 5 years).  In your opinion is it worth risking the Win 10 upgrade?  It is running on Win 7 currently.  Have you any anecdotal tales about such?

Richard