Author Topic: csv import eg from Accesss  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Ian

csv import eg from Accesss
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
Hello again.
I have a couple of year's worth of transactions saved on a Microsoft Access database and tried to import them into Bank Genie. First I exported the relevant (transactions) table into csv format. Then I tried to import that into Bank Genie.
Soon I realised that it helps to have a folder name that corresponds with one of the banks listed on screen BS412SO1. Doing that causes the relevant buttons to "light up" giving hope that an import will be possible. However, when I try to import that file I then get a "Not coded yet" message. So...
Do I need to give particular names to the field headings?
Have I got too many (or too few) fields in the original database?
Should I format the csv file in a particular way?
Or have I just missed something really obvious that will enable me to import that data rather than have to type in individually something nearing 200 transactions?
I'd love to hear how others have got on with importing transactions using csv formats or from Access type databases.
Ian

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: csv import eg from Accesss
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
Hi Ian

csv files are quite specific and non-standard.
Hence the myriad of Buttons for different Banks whose csv files I have catered for.

Your Microsoft Access data "as is" saved as csv would be even more specific.

Can you manipulate your data to extract a csv file with fields to match a csv file layout in Bank Genie?
If yes, then I can point you to which field layout to create, then export from Microsoft Access to csv file to use to do the import.
I'm sure we can make that work.