Author Topic: Windows 10 warning for users of MS Money  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Pensioner

Windows 10 warning for users of MS Money
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »
I have been investigating the upcoming offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10 for users of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.  There is one particular matter that impinges on some Bank Genie users that I thought to bring to your attention. >:(

If you still use MS Money (as I do for Investments) it is not compatible with either Windows 8.1 nor 10.  Upgrading to 10 will 'remove' it.  It seems to me (no pressure now) that the Bank Genie Investments module will be timely if it can be release in August, and users of Money would be well advised not to upgrade to Windows 10 until they have migrated completely off Money.  If you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Adviser other incompatibilities may be revealed.

There are of course other issues about the O/S upgrade, but not really relevent to this forum.  Just thought you'd like to know...

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Windows 10 warning for users of MS Money
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
Thanks for posting that info, Richard.
RE:
Upgrading to 10 will 'remove' it
Can you explain that please?

Offline Pensioner

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:56:39 AM »
"remove" -
Apparently the installation of Windows 10 will automatically remove, i.e. uninstall I assume, incompatible applications.  It sounds as if you have no choice over the matter.  The solution is probably to run such programs in a virtual machine running an earlier version of Windows.  I would set that up before upgrading to 10 (and probably will do it like that.)  More cumbersome but at least ypu protect your financial data in the case of Money.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Richard.
If anyone else has information on that aspect of the installation of Windows 10, I'd very much appreciate their findings.

Offline Davepacey

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
What version of MS Money are you using?  according to Microsoft compatibilty Centre at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Software&Name=Microsoft+Money+Plus+Sunset+Deluxe&ModelOrVersion=17&Vendor=Microsoft&Locale=&LastSearchTerm=&

MS Money Sunset (Version 17) is fully compatible with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Money Sunset is a free download with no activation required, I have been susing it for a number of years without problem. I am also happily using Bank Genie Pro :-)

Regards,

Dave

Offline Pensioner

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
I am Money 2001 (version 9).  Somewhat old.  I think I'll investigate the sunset version, thanks.

Offline Pensioner

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, and indeed Money fails to work.  However I have installed it in a virtual machine running Win, 7 and can still use it therefore.  Bank Genie Pro 4 works under Windows 10, apparently, althouhg it gave me a scare by producing a message stating "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Pro 2010".  I have also installed Money Sunset in the same place, just to have a look.  Need investments in  Bank Genie! ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
Yes, its been a busy day today. I think a lot of people discovered MS Money didn't work on Windows 10.
Delighted to offer Bank Genie as a replacement.

Very relieved that all flavours of Bank Genie works on W10 (and also Ideas Genie - our software for plant and garden loving enthusiasts).

Investments coming soon Richard - that should be fun :)

Offline Davepacey

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »
Not Knocking Bank Genie at all, I love it, but MS Money DOES work on Windows 10.  Version 17 (Sunset) works flawlessly.

Dave.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
Fortunately, just before the sunset, Bank Genie a new dawn was introduced  ;D
Very pleased to read your comments.

The new dawn is the photo I use in the welcome page on Bank Genie (the sun rising over the Irish Sea - taken by my son on a Christmas break from his window at the Slieve Donard hotel - home to the Royal County Down golf club hotel - Irish Open 2015 and all that).
Its turned out to be pretty apt :D

Bank Genie has been installed on quite a number of Windows 10 computers at this stage and very smoothly.
I'm very pleased to read how popular that new operating system is. Excellent reviews.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:32:01 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Davepacey

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
You have to wonder how popular Windows 10 would be if everyone had to pay for it though :-)