Author Topic: Old fashioned canterbury bells  (Read 3269 times)

Offline AuntPol

Old fashioned canterbury bells
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »
Hi Folks,

It's been a long beautiful summer and I have had such a wonderful time enjoying the garden with the kids and grandkids with today being the first even slightly chilly day for a long long time.

Last year I sowed these cantbury bells http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...bury Bell Cup and Saucer Mix Seeds_107884.htm and I have had such an amazing display this year with them hanging low and almost to the ground on two foot stems over a wall (no need to stake them as they are sooo perfect to drape over a wall). Unfortunately, when I got a new phone I lost all my photos on the update or I would post some.  The current stems although nearly finished with this years blooms have dozens of what look like baby pods on them as if they are about to flower again - does anyone know if they will re-flower this year or perhaps next year?

Two of the plants did not produce stems just huge and I mean huge serving platter sized rosettes. The rosettes seem to consist of a dozen or more smaller rosettes and I wonder if any one knows whether I should leave them as they are or whether it is possible to divide them into single rosettes in the hope of them flowering next year.

Also, does anyone know where the seeds are for next year on these plants? Is it in the flower heads themselves or the little pod thing behind the flowers?

I would really appreciate any help as I would love to have these flowers again next year.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Old fashioned canterbury bells
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
Nice to hear from you again Annie :)

RE:
Unfortunately, when I got a new phone I lost all my photos
What a pity :'(

The link you posted isn't working. Is this the one?
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flower+Seeds/When+to+Sow+Flowers/Flowers+to+Sow+in+June/Canterbury+Bell+Cup+and+Saucer+Mix+Seeds_107884.htm

Anyway, I haven't grown Canterbury bells for ages, and I should - every year!
Mine were also quite spectacular in a very pretty range of colours. The only (minor) problem was, it wasn't possible to "arrange" them in colour when planting out - you have to wait until they reveal their secrets! I agree they are really fine plants.
Being biennial, you have to be patient, but then gardeners are good at that!

Ive never collected seeds from them, so I will stand aside and allow someone else to offer advice.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:47:15 AM by ideasguy »

Offline AuntPol

Re: Old fashioned canterbury bells
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
Hi,
Yes, thats the link - sorry mine wasn't working.

I'm getting a bit worried as they are started to go over now and I have no idea where the seeds are.