Author Topic: Potatoes planted!  (Read 2379 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Potatoes planted!
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
What a strange week it has been!
Tuesday afternoon was like a summers day. I did some weeding and the soil actually felt quite warm.
Then the rains came ::) - and Thursday was absolutely bitterly cold and we had rain all day. The garden looked like it was flooded!
Frost overnight  :o (Thu) then back came the sunshine on Friday afternoon. We did some shopping and on the way I bought a stone of British Queens seed potatoes. The farmer who ran the roadside shop told me he planted some last week.
On the way home I bought a bag of potato fertiliser. Thought I'd have to wait a week or so before planting.
This morning, went for a very early walk then went to what is now my weekly "Match of the Day" - to see James playing football - 9:00 am kickoff. It was bitterly cold and I got what we call here "a foundering". Even though I was wrapped up well the cold seemed to chill me to my bones!
Came home, warmed up with usual 11:00 am coffee and then decided to cut the hedge at the side of the house - now looking good.
Felt warm for the first time that day. Had a look at the veggy patch and to my amazement found that it was workable.
Out came the "Gorilla" - that huge rotovator I bought a few years ago, and had it finished in no time!
I felt REALLY warm after that!
By end of day, I had three drills of potatoes planted :D - and the temperature had dropped to 4 degrees.
Wonderful how being active can make a cold day seem pleasant!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:23:53 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Potatoes planted!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
Well done George, may your efforts be well rewarded. Nothing better than new potatoes freshly dug from the garden.
Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Potatoes planted!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »
Oh so right you are, Eric.
A farmer I know quite well (he stopped growing potatoes - too much labour required, particularly spraying) made the same remark last year.
We like the floury varieties and the British Queens are the best. They are quite tricky to boil as the skin cracks. Mary finds its best to steam them.

Out today again, preparing anther patch for more of the same ;D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:21:19 PM by ideasguy »