Author Topic: Multi sessions  (Read 3442 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Multi sessions
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
Tip for the day - and this applies to all our software items.
The sessions don't interact so that requires more awareness rather than caution.
Hopefully described below :)

Taking Bank Genie as an example:
You can start Bank Genie and use the Transaction Analyser program.
You can start Bank Genie again and use Manage Transactions.
You can start a third session of Bank Genie and use the Profit & Loss Report program.
This is a fairly common occurrence when I'm doing my Tax Returns!
The good thing is, you keep a set of data handy as you flick between the sessions (click on the Icons in the System Tray at the bottom of your computer screen)

The caution element:
When you Add/Edit or Delete a transaction in one session, you have to refresh the data in the other session.
e.g. in Transaction Analyser, if you have added a transaction in Manage Transactions, click the Selection Screen tab and click GO to refresh the transaction listing resulting from your query, using the same selection parameters.
(you can also click the left TYR button left, then click the right TYR button to refresh the listing of transactions).
In P&L, click Selection Screen and Go, as in P&L above.

Useful? I'd like to hear your comments, folk.

You'll think of similar things you need to do with Ideas Genie and Flower Genie ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:51:09 AM by ideasguy »

Offline barryl

Re: Multi sessions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
I used to make more use of this but currently I just flip backwards and forwards between (for example) manage transactions and transaction analyser, as I found I got confused.

I think it would be good if 2nd and subsequent incarnations opened the database "read-only" as that would avoid possible confusions.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Multi sessions
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
I'll think about making that flip between Manage Transactions and Transaction Analser a bit easier, Barry.
Our new "Settings" file could be used to store the settings when you leave Transaction Analyser to go to Manage Transactions and vice versa. The settings could be restored when you flip.

Read Only - It would be a lot of coding to make that happen.
Would it be worth it?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:53:22 PM by ideasguy »