Author Topic: Sacred wonders of Britian  (Read 2316 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Sacred wonders of Britian
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
I caught the last half hour or so of Episode 3 last night on BBC2 and was absolutely fascinated.
You can catch it on BBC iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03qkzbp/sacred-wonders-of-britain-episode-3

Those of you who like architecture ( :D) will enjoy the footage.

When people ask "Have you been to Glastonbury" some may immediately think of the Pop, Blues & Folk Festivals.
When you talk about Lindisfarne the Newcastle rock band may come to mind.
Famous locations, of course and this program discusses the history.
Also Canterbury Cathedral (Quote: one of the great glories of medieval architecture) and (not for the faint hearted) Neil discusses the fate of St Thomas Becket.
The Holy Grail, Macbeth, King Arthur - gosh - so much history in one quite brilliant program.

I have to confess,  :-[ at one stage I was in stitches at how Neil Oliver, rather tongue in cheek, poked questions about the "validity" of some of the many myths around Glastonbury.

Ive raised this topic to see how many of our members have been to Glastonbury, Lindisfarne and Canterbury Cathedral and perhaps we can add a few of our own personal photos.

I did a quick surf after seeing the program and found this:
http://www.glastonburyabbey.com/
On that page, click on History.
Use the links on the side to read all about the Archaeology, the Myths & Legends, the Holy Thorn, Joseph of Arimathea etc.
The TV program went into much more detail - riveting stuff!

Enjoy your Sunday!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:40:42 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

Re: Sacred wonders of Britian
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:53:06 AM »
Been up Glastonbury Tor. No photos. The tower on it smelled strongly of urine, if I remember correctly. Long time ago now.

Offline barryl

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
I have been to Glastonbury and Canterbury and very close to but not actually
at Lindisfarne (mainland opposite).
As one of my sons lived there for a few years (poor misguided fool!) I have climbed the Tor a few times, but alas I cannot find a photo..

All the Glastonbury myths are just that, no truth whatsoever! No Holy Grail,
Joseph, thorn, arthur, camelot....

Its a very pretty hill though and an obvious centre of "culture" in the days when the
surrounding land was under water

Offline JeanV

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 04:43:37 AM »
Well yes I have been to all of those I must admit to that! Not to the festival.  I think Lindisfarne is  my favourite  but we tend to call it Holy Island : if I had a list it would be on it <g> And I was once a knight in "Murder in the Cathedral"  in a school play but then I live in Uk and the names would to me mean the places I guess.

Lindisfarne or Holy Island is a very spiritual place : I love it as you can get away from the crowds easily and the tide brings all to a halt. It has an atmosphere all its own because the  tides cut it off. You sit there are you know you are there till the tides turn.  AS a child my mother gave me a ring weith St Columbas barque on it : these are linked by the celtic saints who had a different christianity from Rome.

I have to admit that although the New Age world of Glastonbury is not in my belief set there is a sense of the spiritual there as well but it is much busier.

I always think it is sad that  folk who visit here often never see these quiet beautiful places but then they are off the track so harder to get to.

I did not catch the programme will prob watch it later.

Jean

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
Nice to see both Barry and Jean have seen those famous sights.
Ive been in Canterbury Cathedral way back in my student days. I was hitchhiking through the area.
I found it awesome.

Ive just checked and as of today you have about 6 days left to view Episode 1 of that series folk.