Author Topic: New User - Silly Questions!  (Read 4388 times)

Offline John435

New User - Silly Questions!
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
I have been told there is no such thing as a silly question, however...

I've only been using BGP for a few days, but have managed to transfer all my data across from MS Money. Had a few false starts, but got there in the end and it was actually quite easy once I had managed to convert all the old dead accounts as well as the current ones to QIF files.

Q1. Is there a calendar function that shows upcoming transactions from your standing orders / direct debits like there was in MS Money?

In the tools drop down menu on BGP there is a calendar / diary listed, but this brings up an error message (FOXUSER resource file is unavailable, Diary disabled) and when you click the ok button it just appears to open a small calendar.

Q2. Can the standing orders / direct debits be listed in the order that they are next due as opposed to being listed the two letter code?

I run a simple excel spread sheet that forecasts outgoings versus my salary, which I no doubt could have done with money if I had bothered.  Presumably I could do something with BGP by processing the standing orders / direct debits and salary estimates for a few months in advance?  Several of the STO / DD's are just estimates as such things as supermarket and diesel purchases vary each week so would need to be adjusted.  That appears to be straight forward as I did that with todays supermarket trip.

Q3. On the subject of STO / DD's in Money where one has an odd first payment then say 9 identical payments such as council tax , you could set up a STO / DD for the odd amount and one for the rest.  I couldn't do that with BGP as it would not let me use the same two letter code again.

It may well be that these things are staring in me in the face and I can't see them for looking!   :-[

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New User - Silly Questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:34:52 PM »
I can see you have made a blistering start John - well done!

I'll deal with your questions one at a time below:

Q1. Is there a calendar function that shows upcoming transactions from your standing orders / direct debits like there was in MS Money?
In Bank Genie, I recommend you actually PROCESS standing orders (and all other regular payments and income) at least one month in advance.
Under Transactions tab, use the program Process Standing Orders (BS429).
Use the date picker (upper right corner of screen) and select a date in the future.
Click the Refresh button.
Process all to that date.
Having done that, you will have a very good Cash Flow overview when you use the program Manage Transactions.
Make sure you stretch the screen wide enough to see the Running balances on the right of the transactions listing.

In the tools drop down menu on BGP there is a calendar / diary listed, but this brings up an error message (FOXUSER resource file is unavailable, Diary disabled) and when you click the ok button it just appears to open a small calendar.
mmm. That's been there since very early Bank Genie days.
The new versions of Bank Genie don't use the Resource File, hence the message.
Nothing to worry about. As you have found, click through that message and the calendar will appear.
Something for me to look at in a future version!

Q2. Can the standing orders / direct debits be listed in the order that they are next due as opposed to being listed the two letter code?
Ive covered that in Bank Genie Pro 5, John.
You will receive a message from the forum when I post a global message to make the happy announcement when it is generally available.
As you will see elsewhere on the forum, some members have the beta version (pre release version, subject to change).
To ALL: You will be pleased to learn that the 2 digit code requirement is dropped in BG Version 5.
The program (BS423) has been completely reworked.
You can list Standing Orders is a variety of ways :D

I run a simple excel spread sheet that forecasts outgoings versus my salary, which I no doubt could have done with money if I had bothered.  Presumably I could do something with BGP by processing the standing orders / direct debits and salary estimates for a few months in advance?  Several of the STO / DD's are just estimates as such things as supermarket and diesel purchases vary each week so would need to be adjusted.  That appears to be straight forward as I did that with todays supermarket trip.
For starters, try the processing ahead tip given above.
The Estimate type Standing orders? Yes, that's how I manage and forecast my finances.
Estimate a little high and you might get a surprise if the actual amount is less ;D
Ive also made a start to a Budgeting tool in BG Pro 5 which will be useful to all.
It allows you to see 12 months at a glance.
For you folk with the BG Pro 5 beta version, start Standing Orders (BS423) and click the new Planner button.

Q3. On the subject of STO / DD's in Money where one has an odd first payment then say 9 identical payments such as council tax , you could set up a STO / DD for the odd amount and one for the rest.  I couldn't do that with BGP as it would not let me use the same two letter code again.
That is already available in your version.
In the program Standing Orders (BS423) click the User Guide link.
Find your way to this page:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide-BankGenie5/bs423s02.html
Click the link Setting up a Direct Debit for a Rates Bill, or Council Tax bill.
It has a screenshot to help you do the setup:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide-BankGenie5/bs423s02-rates.gif

Hope that helps! Perhaps others looking at this will get a few tips!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:56:39 PM by ideasguy »

Offline John435

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »
Thank you George   ;D

I guessed that BGP was probably capable of what I asked.  Thank you for those pointers it is much appreciated.  A quality product with even greater quality user support.

John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
Thank you John. Its encouraging to receive such praise.
I'm very pleased when Bank Genie is described as a quality product :)
Many thanks from me to Barry and the others who have helped so much in this project.

I enjoy the support side of things. Its the best way to discover the obstacles or difficulties users encounter.
Very often a simple tweak or a new feature can make a big difference to user experience.
Its good to listen ;D

Offline barryl

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »
Just to say I totally agree and to add my welcome to this quality product.

I am glad you managed to sort out the import; it is (necessarily) a compicated process.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
Easy when you know how - you and I have done it hundreds of times when testing Barry :)
I think we covered all eventualities when developing the import program! Many thanks for your consultancy work in producing Bank Genie Pro.

Offline John435

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
Random question time!

Is it possible to use your own photo's as a backdrop in BG?

John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
Hi John

Yes, you can change the photo.
Have a read over this page in the User Guide:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide-BankGenie5/myphoto.html

Please let us know here if you succeed :D.
If this is news to other Bank Genie  users reading this on the forum, please let us have your comments.

Offline John435

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Thank you George,

Gave it a try but just couldn't get the aspect ratio correct and kept getting "squashed" pictures!  Patience is not one of my strong points...

John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
Don't give up John.
If you'd like to send one photo by email I will resize it for you.
You can then see how it looks and see if you can do similar to others you'd like to add into that folder.
That way, you can change or rotate the photos at will.