Author Topic: We have snow!  (Read 1941 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
We have snow!
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
There was a light coating late last night and its still with us.

I wish the people behind us would feed their cats! I spend a fortune on bird food and love to watch them and their antics.
Unfortunately I have to chase our neighbours cats daily and regularly as they are continually pouncing on them from the cover of my plants and shrubs >:(
They have FIVE of them. They never let them into their house and they seem to spend most of their time in my garden. Only plus is we don't seem to have any mice or their bigger 4 legged long tailed friends.

I was distraught one morning last year to see the black cat sitting having breakfast on one of "my" doves :'(
This morning I noticed what appeared to be a pile of snow, then I realised it was the white cat (usually VERY easily spotted) sitting hunched up about to pounce on an unsuspecting group of little birds. I hope they can stay alert! I chased it, but it will soon be back, I'm sure.

Offline nasuli

Re: We have snow!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 04:20:53 AM »
George, you need eagles and coyotes.  ;) They help to keep the cat population down here. I love birds, but I'm not good at remembering to keep the feeders filled, so I don't do that. I don't want them to get accustomed to getting their food that way and then not finding any.

I love snow! All we've had the past couple of weeks has been rain and northeast to south wind. It's been in the late 40s and early 50s (Fahrenheit).

Offline Palustris

Re: We have snow!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »
Oddly we have two cats of our own and neighbours also have 2, but the bird p;opulation is huge. We feed the birds out in the open so there is no cover for the cats to sneak up though. Very rarely see any signs of cat predation on the feathereds. When there are pigeon feathers  all over the place it is usually the work of the Sparrow hawks rather than the felines.