Author Topic: My purple monster - Wisteria  (Read 2939 times)

Offline nasuli

My purple monster - Wisteria
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:23:18 AM »
I've been amazed at how rapidly wisteria can take over. I've had these two for about 10 years. Every year, after they've dropped their leaves, I go in and begin butchering! The following photos were this Spring after I'd done my butchering.

Offline nasuli

Re: My purple monster - Wisteria
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:24:48 AM »
close up

Offline nasuli

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 03:26:27 AM »
The other side. The Wisteria is the only thing holding up the bamboo fence.

Offline nasuli

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 03:27:44 AM »
last photo

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
Its hard to believe that all that foliage and flowers are coming from two plants, Annie.
Is the Wisteria growing up a tree on the left in that first photo?

My wife has asked me to plant one. I grew one from seed but lost it because I couldn't decide where to plant it :-[
Looks real good in your photos and no doubt much more spectacular in reality.

Thank you for posting and sharing. Looking forward to the next batch (I hope there's more :D)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:45:55 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »
Amazing Wysteria, Annie. I always think of them trained up walls or buildings. Running rampant as a tree/shrub  ??? is most impressive.
Eric H

Offline nasuli

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »
Thank you George and Eric.

"Is the Wisteria growing up a tree on the left in that first photo?" Yes, but it's not supposed to. I have to go out and hack away at the wisteria in the tree 3 or 4 times a year.

"Running rampant as a tree/shrub  ??? is most impressive." Running rampant is only because I had no clue what I was doing when I planted them. Hence, my referring to them as my monsters. I have to be diligent at clipping back runners in the lawn and if I don't get to the vines in the tree quick enough they will grow so thick and strong that I end up having to actually cut the tree branch.

George, you mentioned your wife wanting one. If you do plant one, I'd recommend installing rebar beside it for the vine to grow up on. Train it as a tree. If you train it on a wall or building, be sure it's cement or something equally strong. Neighbors had one nicely trained up a post on their porch. It became so heavy that it eventually broke the post and the vine was the only thing holding up that end of the porch.

Wisteria is beautiful and I love mine, but they can easily become invasive and destructive.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »
Thanks for that info and sharing your experience Annie.

It is indeed a beautiful display when in bloom. I'd like to hear from some of our members in the UK to see if they also find it so rampant in these parts.