Author Topic: Goldfinches  (Read 2402 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Goldfinches
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
I'm puzzled ::)

All last winter, we had a little colony of Goldfinches which visited regularly to feast at our Niger seed feeders.
They were very easy to attract. I bought a Niger seed feeder and some seed and they arrived the same day, as I recall.
They were obviously in the neighbourhood and familiar with that type of feeder ;D

Around March/April time, they stopped visiting.
Two weeks ago, I spotted a few back again flitting around the same small (Acer palmatum) tree where the feeders hang.
I was delighted to see them again as they are the prettiest birds in the garden.
I cleaned the feeders and filled with more Niger seed. They appeared a few times but not regularly (as yet).
I'm wondering if it is something to do with the dense leaves in that Acer. They stopped coming when the foliage appeared, and returned when the foliage started to drop. Almost bare as I write.

I did a little research and find this:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/g/goldfinch/
with this info:
In winter many UK goldfinches migrate as far south as Spain
Seems to be the reverse here ::)

Can any of our bird experts on the forum offer an explanation why they disappeared all summer?

also (incidentally):
Their long fine beaks allow them to extract otherwise inaccessible seeds from thistles and teasels.
Perhaps that would explain why they are the only variety which use those Niger seed feeders.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Goldfinches
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
Sorry, George, I think you need someone like Laurie to answer thet. I am glad you reminded me though, I had better get my various cleaners cleaned and up and running for the winter.
It is a beautiful morning here at the moment with the sun just coming up over the tree tops.
Eric H

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
They disappear round here because there is food available in the Woods and fields. Just about coming back now, later than usual as there is still a lot of food out there and they don't need ours, yet.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
That sounds like a good explanation, Eric (er, Palustris :D). Like us, they have their favourite "restaurants" and in spring and summer there is obviously much nicer things to survive on than Niger seed ;D

Enjoy the sunshine Eric (H) and lovely to hear from you. The climate in your region leaves me in envy!
Consistently, your SE part of the UK was quite a few degrees warmer than here in Ireland all summer and autumn - and lots more sunshine.