Author Topic: Leaf-peeping in the Forest  (Read 2606 times)

NightHawk

Leaf-peeping in the Forest
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
This is my current mission to gather material for my New Forest National Park website.

The following article appeared in this week's edition of the New Forest Post:

The weather conditions haven't been that favourable the past couple of years, so I've missed getting some great shots.  This year promises to be a very good opportunity, and I don't intend to miss out  :D

If you've got woodland in your area it may well be worth checking out the Forestry Commission website to see where the best areas are, and getting out with your camera.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Leaf-peeping in the Forest
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
How is the Leaf-peeping project going Laurie?

I'm enjoying the colours of my Japanese maples and other Acers in my garden. Some are almost over, some are still going and some are a bit slower to change.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
I was having a look around Bolderwood yesterday morning and some of the leaves are just starting to turn yellow.

Beech, Maple and Silver Birch (all of which are in the Forest) have a yellow leaf change, but at the moment they haven't reached the dramatic colour change I'm waiting for.  The Beech, Maple and the Rowan also change to shades of red, so this again is what I'm waiting to capture.

Other areas of the Forest are at a similar stage so it's just a case of checking around.

I always have my Canon compact camera with me when I'm out and about, so whether it's to do our grocery shopping or our daily walks, I'm prepared to capture the 'moment'  :D

As you know George, we don't have far to travel to get amongst the trees as the National Park is like an extension of our garden.

The only times we don't go walking in the Forest is when it's windy.  We've been out on several occasions after the winds have ceased and come across fallen trees and large branches, some of which have fallen across footpaths.  Definitely not recommended.

Anyway, I'm hoping the weather conditions continue, to promote the colour changes I'm after.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:27:50 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
We're currently experiencing the remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo as strong winds and rain sweep across the UK, so no trips out into the Forest today.

We had to go out in the car at 9am this morning and came across lots of fallen twigs and small bits of branches on the tree-lined country roads, but nothing major (fingers crossed).

Indoor activities are the order of the day ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Same here Laurie. I braved the weather to do my morning walk as normal.
Stormy and cold outside - "fortunately" there's plenty to do on the computer :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:34:20 PM by ideasguy »

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:23:42 AM »
The colours are a bit slow to develop this year.  Not enough cold nights so far!  We have a Liquidamber in a large pot and it's almost black at the moment instead of the bright red it was last year.  We've taken a couple of trips recently to catch what we can of the season and I will share soon my FB albums of pictures from Thorpe Perrow arboretum and Burton Agnes Hall, both in Yorkshire and both places we hadn't actually visited ever before.