Author Topic: Hummingbird hawkmoth  (Read 3041 times)

NightHawk

Hummingbird hawkmoth
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
A first sighting for Kathy and I of the hummingbird hawkmoth.

It flew into our front garden at 7.30pm yesterday, just as it was starting to get dark, and was taking nectar from our honeysuckle bush.

It stayed for about 2 minutes then flew away.

I wasn't able to get a photograph to record the moment though :(

I have recorded the sighting on the butterfly conservation website, as they do regular surveys to monitor their numbers and migration patterns.

Here is a link to the RSPB website for further reading about the species.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Hummingbird hawkmoth
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
Very interesting and a brilliant sighting Laurie 8)
I'll look out for it - I see it likes Phlox, Escallonia and Petunia and we can offer some of those treats if one should come a-visiting :D Also (as in your case) Honeysuckle - and it escapes from the neighbouring garden and spills over our bordering fence.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
We gardeners do a fantastic job to not only enhance the look of our gardens through beautiful planting, but also by providing a plentiful food source for nature's insect and wildlife.

We are then heartily rewarded by some of the most colourful visitors adorning our creations.  Superb  8)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
but also by providing a plentiful food source for nature's insect and wildlife.
Fortunately some of it is surplus to requirements of slugs and snails ;D
I blame the mild winter for the abundance of those pests this year. Very few wasps which was surprising.

Any more sightings Laurie? I read on that web site that they have a good memory and return to the same part of the garden each day around the same time.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
No more sightings just yet George, although that's not to say it didn't return.

I have been looking out for it though.

We do have a very large display of honeysuckle which covers the whole length of the garage wall, and it weaves in and out of the other shrubs planted there.  So there's plenty to attract it back again  ;)

I also haven't seen many wasps around this year.  A good thing for me as I don't like them at all.

We do have ants though!  And that could be another topic for discussion elsewhere maybe  :-\

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
Lucky you, Lauri. I have only seen one of these once, in a neighbour's garden, and that was a long time ago. I remember the wings moving so quickly that I could barely see them, just like a humming bird. Like you I wasn't able to take a photo, or perhaps a video would have been more appropriate.

Our Canadian son, Mark, has humming birds visit his lakeside cottage frequently and he hangs up a feeder. I made a video of one once which I would post here, if I knew how. I put it on Flickr so here is the link: - https://www.flickr.com/photos/erichardyuk/3515304972/in/photolist-aDfLN-6mCRGq
I hope you can play it.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 12:24:40 PM »
Still no more sightings in our garden  :(  It could still be visiting though and we're just missing it  :-\

I tried your video link Eric but it comes up as a 'Page not found'.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:36:40 AM »
Sorry about that, Laurie. I have discovered that only "Friends and Family" can view my video so I have emailed a "Guest pass" to both you and George. I hope you can see it now.

Here is a still too.

EricH

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 07:42:30 AM »
Thanks for that Eric.

Saw the video no problem this time.

What a treat to have those birds visit your garden  8)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Thanks for the email and link Eric. I've played it and will play it for James tomorrow.

My first sighting of a Humming-bird was in Palm Springs while on holiday. It was a fleeting visit to the garden and not much time for photography! You've done very well with that video!!