Author Topic: New Forest Highland Cattle  (Read 2407 times)

NightHawk

New Forest Highland Cattle
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
Had an encounter with one of several breeds of cattle which are allowed to roam around the Forest - the Highland breed.

Kathy and I were walking in Longslade Bottom when we came across two of them just laid down next to the footpath.

They're not known to be aggressive, so we just walked past them normally at a distance of about 10 feet.  Those horns are pretty awesome weapons, so you wouldn't want to tackle those.  They didn't pay us any attention or even make eye contact with us.  They were just languishing in the sunshine. 

Took a few photos then carried on.

Photo 1 - footpath just behind them (gravel track on right).

Photo 2 - moved round to face them for a better angle.

Photo 3 - close-up

Photo 4 - full on shot.  They couldn't care less I was there  ;)

Photo 5 - close-up

There were more Highland cattle on the open ground here but there were no calves.  If there had been we would have given them a much wider berth.

You meet up with all sorts of critters in the New Forest.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New Forest Highland Cattle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Don't mix it with those guys! Those horns look V dangerous  :o
Great photos Laurie :) How far do you walk in one of those outings Laurie?

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
Thanks George.

The walk today was just under 2 miles.  Our distances vary, depending on the weather, but our average is about 5 miles.

There are numerous Forest paths to follow, so you can do short walks of about 1 to 2 miles or be really adventurous and do about 20 miles and more if you feel so inclined  ;)

The beauty of living in the Forest is that we can go out any time we feel like it, so we don't have to cram long walks in each day as you would if you were on holiday here.

It's such a lovely environment and relaxing way of life here, to just come and go as we please is such a privilege.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
Its a lovely retreat from the hustle and bustle, Laurie.
I can see from your many postings that you are both loving the lifestyle there.
Thank you for sharing the sights and wildlife photos and descriptions with us on the forum.