Author Topic: Met Office Yellow weather alert  (Read 4113 times)

NightHawk

Met Office Yellow weather alert
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

Not the symbols I like to see on my weather map.

This is the latest warning from the Met Office:

Met Office Warnings Issued For: Hampshire

Yellow warning of rain

0015 on Sun 10 August
    To:
        2345 on Sun 10 August

There is the potential for severe weather over much of the UK during Sunday as a depression tracks over, or close to, the UK. There continues to be a great deal of uncertainty in the forecast but the public should be aware of the risk of flooding due to heavy rain as well as very strong winds and large waves, particularly on the southern side of the depression. Given the unseasonable nature of the weather this could be sufficient to disrupt transport and make outdoor activities dangerous.

This is a particularly volatile situation, and this alert is likely to be updated as the event approaches. The public are advised to keep up to date with the latest forecasts and alerts through the weekend.

For anyone who has missed this weather warning, it's one to be aware of and to care if you're in the affected areas.

I must have missed the memo - isn't it still supposed to be Summer  :(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Met Office Yellow weather alert
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »
Batten down the hatches Laurie. We've seen the national weather forecast and it sure does look bad.

Its crazy summer weather here (North of Ireland).
Thursday was absolutely beautiful. I closed the door after gardening to dusk, and couldn't believe how quickly a heavy shower arrived.
Friday rained from morn to late afternoon (then was a warm and sunny evening).
Today is beautiful (even though heavy showers were forecast) and we now all know about tomorrow.

Can't complain though - its one of the best summers we've had for many a year.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
Up to today the weather has been very pleasant, with just a brief odd shower here and there, but otherwise dry, sunny and quite hot.

Looking further ahead here though, Monday is forecast for thundery showers and on Tuesday it's forecast for hail showers  :o

Ho-hum  ::)

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
On Sunday morning, I could swear I heard my lawns "singing" with joy, at the sound of the RAIN!
It has been an exceptionally dry Summer!

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
We didn't fair too badly here today actually.

Had a couple of heavy rain showers up to midday.  Then the skies cleared and the sun appeared.

It has stayed dry the rest of the day, and we've just been left with strong winds.   Thankfully, no flooding problems.

The wind has eased now and it seems we have just caught the edge of the worst of the bad weather which came from ex-Hurricane Bertha from the Caribbean islands, which is moving northwards across the UK.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:58:07 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
You got off light Laurie :D We saw the national news on TV and some parts got it real bad.

It was cold wet and miserable most of the day "back home" here Bruce ;D
The rain from last week has made the garden a lot easier to weed now the soil is not rock hard!

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
More of the same again today I'm sad to say  :(

Thunder/lightning storms and heavy rainfall.  We've got the torrential rain as I write, but no lightning storms just now.  Will have to power down when/if they arrive again.

Localised flooding warnings have been issued, so let's hope we escape the worst of it again.  Fortunately, we don't need to venture out anywhere so we can 'batten down the hatches' and weather the storm in the comfort of our home.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »
Missed the lot so far, no rain storms, no thunder and no really bad winds. (Bows to Hubris).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
We are on a short break in Manchester visiting Tara. Much the same as at home as I write, cloudy wth sun breaking through. At home, the garden is now well watered  :D
It's a big Change for you Laurie.

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
Pleased to hear you missed the storm Eric.

We were fortunate again.  Must have just caught the edge of it as it moved past us, as we didn't get any undue flooding problems and the thunder/lightning was minimal and short-lived here.  Phew!

Have a great visit in Manchester George.  Glad you're not experiencing any adverse weather conditions there.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »
10:10 am not at all bad here in the Chilterns. 61 degrees F, quite bright although clouds about, dry and no rain forecast, wind speed 8mph, and pressure 30.2 ins - not bad at all in other words  :)

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
Quite pleasant here too Eric  ;D

Dry, sunny, warm, no wind - in fact, I think I feel some gardening activity coming on  ;)

Kathy has just ventured out into the garden so I suppose I'd better join her so I don't feel too guilty  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
Home again safely folk after a lovely relaxing weekend (apart from the shopping of course!).
Pleased to read you are both out in the garden Laurie :) I can see a few chores out there on my return ;D
Busy day looming tomorrow!
Enjoy that good weather Eric :)

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
Welcome back George.

I'm quite sure you'll prefer to be out in your garden again, as opposed to being dragged around shopping centres  ;)

Weather forecast here for the rest of the week is for dry and sunny conditions.  No excuses for not doing more gardening anyway  ::)  Maybe we're going to be in for an unexpected heatwave?  Probably best not to tempt fate too much though.

The nights are getting darker again now.  By about 8.40pm for us, and when the sun goes down it really does get dark.  Very few street lights out in the country which is the reason for that.  Such a drastic change from the urban glare in the busier, built-up towns which we are well away from.  Great if you prefer the busier lifestyle, but give me the country every time  ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
Yet another Yellow Alert weather warning for rain has been issued by the Met Office for our area.

Heavy rain and winds are expected on Monday.

Typical Bank Holiday weather again I suppose.

I feel sorry for all the holiday-makers travelling down here.  They're going to have a waterlogged time of it I think  ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »
Indeed Laurie, I feel sorry for people who have their holidays (or weekends) dampened after working very often when the weather is glorious.
I'm sure they will make the most of it and have a nice holiday weekend with friends and family.