Author Topic: Stormy weather  (Read 3579 times)

NightHawk

Stormy weather
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »
Thankfully, we were very lucky to escape the worst of the stormy weather over the weekend.

Although originating on the south coast, the thunder and lightning just skirted around us and we just had a smattering of rain.  I do know that other areas further north and the east coast took the brunt of it and got badly flooded.

I therefore have no excuse for not doing too much in our garden at the moment.  There just seems to be other things taking over our lives at the moment, so it's a case of cutting the grass and a bit of weeding and general tidying.

The past few days have been hot and sunny with temperatures around 25 °C.  Not the searing 37 °C plus temperatures that the Met Office were issuing health warnings about, to keep indoors wherever possible.  I think Brighton was one of the worst affected by the high temperatures.

Anyway, heavy rain is forecast in our area later this week  ::) , so it's a case of 'do what I can ploy' I think.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Stormy weather
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Good to hear from you Laurie!
That storm didn't hit us either but our son and his family were in Cornwall on holiday and had a frightening experience with the thunder and lightning.

In general we have been a few degrees cooler than you folk in the south of England. Its been very pleasant here - the best summer in years. We've taken a drive to the seaside a couple of times when we can (usually when its too hot for gardening  :D).
We've had a little rain, never as much as the forecasters "promise". The garden really needs it, but we can suffer it for a bit longer yet ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
Just seen this one, sorry. We had the most dramatic storms that night. I always sleep with my curtains open so I can wake up gazing out onto the Common. Instead I woke to the most blinding lightening. The flashes came so quickly one after the other that you couldn't tell which bit of thunder related to which flash. Then there was very heavy rain, about 1.5 inches according to my neighbour who has a rain gauge. At least it saved us a bit of watering for a day or two, except in the greenhouse, of course. I remembered that I hadn't unplugged the computer so crept along the landing to do so. I didn't want it to blow up ::)

Eric H
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:37:41 PM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
More strange weather patterns to keep us on our toes there Eric.

Keep yourself and Anthea safe when there's lightening storms about.

I had an email from my local GP a few days ago warning of the dangers from the high temperatures issued by the Met Office, and advising to stay indoors wherever possible to avoid heat-stroke.  We're certainly getting the high temperatures as predicted.  If we go out, thankfully we've got air-conditioning in the car to keep us cool and we've got cooling fans all over the house  ::)

I suppose it's a good excuse for not doing much gardening as well, but having said that, it is just an excuse.  But that's my reasoning anyway and I'm sticking to it  :D

Let's just hope for a return to more comfortable temperatures.  Kathy and I have never been great sun worshippers, so these temperatures are just too much for us.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:11 PM »
The weather here was amazing today - blue skies all day. Mary and I both like the sun.

We are not used to this kind of prolonged dry hot weather in Ireland. In this part, we haven't had a good heavy shower of rain for ages. There were a few dull days, but the rain was very light and barely penetrated the soil.

Ive grown British Queens potatoes this year. I dug the first stalk at the weekend. They were quite small but boy did they taste good :) They would probably be bigger if they'd had some rain.
Last year I recall having a problem finding a dry day to spray them with a forecast which didn't threaten heavy rain next day to wash it all off!
Its to be like this until the weekend. I'm quite happy with those small spuds ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »
It was very strange weather here today. We motored to Marlow which is on the Thames and about six miles from home. It was very hot indeed and some ominous black clouds developed. We drove along a little road which is high above the Thames on the Berkshire side and a well known view point and beauty spot. Except there wasn't a view - it was hidden by a rainstorm which had just started and was so heavy that the wipers just couldn't cope. A poor bedraggled bunch of school kids were clutching their pencils and note pads and were just getting soaked through. We drove all the way to Cookham in this pouring rain before it eased then back over Cookham Bridge and made for home. The car thermometer showed that the temperature had fallen 10 degrees to 18C which was wonderfully refreshing. The roads were drying quickly and giving off steam but there were enormous mini lakes along the roadside where the drainage hadn't coped. We consoled ourselves with the thought that at least there would be no need of watering tonight. When we reached the Common something odd struck me, all the hollows that normally fill with water were bone dry. The rain had stopped half a mile from our house and come no nearer.  Our garden hadn't received a single drop!  >:(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:02:55 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
Bad luck that day Eric! Rainstorm spoiling your view while sightseeing, and not reaching your garden.

We saw the TV coverage of the aftermath of the heavy hail then rain in the South coast of England yesterday.
I hope our members didn't experience flooding. What an abrupt end to the beautiful sunny spell we've had.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
That happens rather too often here. We see the rain coming across the fields and it stops a hundred metres or so from us. Walked down the lane one day, shirt sleeves, really hot, it was raining hard at the end of the road, less than a mile away. Tractor driver said that he has been able to put one hand out of the cab on one side and it be dry, but on the other side his hand would be getting wet.
Hope no-one suffered too much damage. We need rain, but not like that, it does more damage than good.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
Hope no-one suffered too much damage.
It's the oats wheat, and barley that these storms can flatten. The fields near us haven't been harvested yet but at least they are still standing.
Eric H
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:03:03 PM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
Thankfully we got off fairly lightly yesterday where we are.

Dry and sunny up to about 4pm then clouded over and heavy rain fell for about 25 minutes.

Skies cleared and then sunny again.  No flooding problems though.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
You were very lucky Laurie. When I saw the TV coverage I thought it was not so far away from you.

I'm sure the farmers were crying out for rain Eric. I pity the ones in the region where the flooding occurred.

We had a little rain on Saturday and a few good showers on Sunday.
It was hard luck on the people who sat in work all last week "baking" in the exceptional high temperatures and looking forward to a nice weekend.
The garden really needed it and the soil is a lot more workable this week. It could do with some more rain, but no doubt that will arrive in due course!

RE: From Eric (Palustris)
Tractor driver said that he has been able to put one hand out of the cab on one side and it be dry, but on the other side his hand would be getting wet.
Perhaps he had long arms???  ;D
Seriously, that was quite bizarre.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:03:13 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
Talking to the farmer along the lane, he does not want rain just yet. The wheat and Rape seed are perfect for harvesting and he would like to get them in dry.
They started the combine harvester up at 4.30 am the other morning.
Still no rain here and none forecast until possibly Saturday.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »
Are your Alpine plants enjoying this hot sunny Summer Eric?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
Nothing is, almost every plant is suffering. We have had no measurable rainfall since the beginning of the month.