Author Topic: Tracking back on a Monthly Item  (Read 3393 times)

Offline barryl

Tracking back on a Monthly Item
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:39:30 PM »
This topic was spilt out from another topic, to give it special attention and not distract from the original posting.
Heres the origin for this topic, created by ideasguy:

A tip if you have monthly statements.
If you click on a transaction - say a monthly bill or income item - then use the Statement No. Back arrow button (the arrow buttons are to the left and right of the Statement No. Field) or use the Previous button.
Bank Genie searches for the same item in your previous statement and selects that item. Repeat Back arrow works as long as the transaction appears in each previous statement. Also works going forward.
This is a feature which I find particularly useful.

This is the first reply to this posting, by Barry (again split out from that same posting)

Another comment on the "previous" and "next" buttons.

Experiment shows that if there is exactly one matching item in the previous (next) statement clicking the button will open that statement at that point. If there is more than one it will select the earliest. If there is none the process fails and a random(?) entry is selected.

Personally I would prefer it bank Genie tried the next earlier (later) statement in that circumstance.y
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:18:50 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Tracking back on a monthly item
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
Thanks for your comments Barry.

Experiment shows that if there is exactly one matching item in the previous (next) statement clicking the button will open that statement at that point.
Yes.
You can also click the left and right (Back and Forward) arrow buttons beside the Statement No field.

If there is more than one it will select the earliest.
Yes

If there is none the process fails and a random(?) entry is selected.
I don't like the word "failed" ;D
If the statement does not contain the matching transaction then yes, it has to select something.
Bear in mind that in most instances the user is NOT searching for matching records when using those Back and Forward buttons.

Personally I would prefer it bank Genie tried the next earlier (later) statement in that circumstance.
Again, bear in mind that in most instances the user is NOT searching for matching records when using those Back and Forward buttons.
Consider the case when the transaction happens once per year :o

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:11:15 PM by ideasguy »

Offline barryl

Re: Tracking back on a Monthly Item
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
Apologies for my confusion. As I read the original post I (mis)understood that the feature was ***specifically*** for tracking repeat transactions. I now realise that it is simply a side effect of moving back to the previous statement (or forward to the next statement).

Having said that I think tracking repeat transactions is a good idea. There are (I think) THREE buttons on BS421S01 to move to the next statement and TWO to move to the previous. Maybe we could think about designating one of these (perhaps the one on the right of the page) to track transactions?

(NB there is a similar entry by George on "general discussion" from 2013.)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Tracking back on a Monthly Item
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »
I agree, Barry. After your posting I thought about it some more and realise it would be a useful feature.

Problem is, it needs extra buttons and I don't like overwhelming our users.
I'd like to hear from other users on this. If you folk are reading this, please add your comments.