Author Topic: Heartbleed Bug  (Read 5178 times)

NightHawk

Heartbleed Bug
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
A major software security flaw has just been published.

Read about the Heartbleed Bug on the BBC website, and take whatever steps you deem necessary.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Heartbleed Bug
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
Google Security and Codenomicon - a Finnish security company - revealed on Monday that a flaw had existed in OpenSSL for more than two years that could be used to expose the secret keys that identify service providers employing the code.

They were a bit slow to react, weren't they!

Offline Pensioner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »
My major security software is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which has a very good reputation at killing off all malware.  I upgraded to its latest (free) version this week and noted that in their blog they recommend controlling and managing your passwords with LastPass available (again free) from https://LastPass.com/  LastPass also detects if you have any vulnerability in any site to the Heartbleed problem.  For those running websites and the like (blogs too) may wish to ask their host if they have patched against the bug.  Heartbleed owes its "success" if that is the right word to inherent laziness in a) changing passwords, and b) not using unique strong passwords.  How many people use the same password for all site log-ins? 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Hi Richard, good to hear from you again!

Personally, I am very wary of free software . I believe in the old saying "theres no such thing as a free lunch"!
When it comes to passwords, I'd be even more careful.

Good advice from you on not using the same password for everything.
I have always had unique passwords. I don't know how I remember them ::).
Having to change (and then remember) so many in one short period has been a challenge ;D

Offline barryl

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:17:21 AM »
I also use Malwarebytes but I pay for my version (it does scans and stuff that the free version does not).

If they recommend something I rekon I would trust it.