Author Topic: Software Base for Bank Genie Pro 5  (Read 2058 times)

Offline AnthonyM

Software Base for Bank Genie Pro 5
« on: February 05, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
I note that Visual Foxpro 9 will be the last version of this software and that it will no longer be supported by Microsoft from 2015, although it seems that the environment will be available open source on Codeplex.

Are there any plans to update the software base for version 5 of Bank Genie or is the intention to continue with Visual Foxpro?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Software Base for Bank Genie Pro 5
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
You've been doing you homework, Anthony!

I'm developing version 5 using VFP9.

The team behind codeplex are a VERY impressive bunch:-
https://vfpx.codeplex.com/team/view
Just take a look at that list of developers - each one an expert.

I've followed their development releases for a number of years now.
I'm particularly grateful to Doug Hennig (CoOrdinator).
Every time you start Bank Genie, an important function is used to locate the Core data file on your computer, based on his code.
That code enabled me to jump the hurdle to make my software run on Windows Vista when it was first released.
That same code works on W7 and now W8.

My gardening software has some brilliant features made possible by VfpImaging (modestly near the bottom of that long list).
Real name Cesar Chalom from Brazil, Cesar is a goldmine of information and has developed many "classes" to provide an incredible set of functions to allow developers to manipulate images (as his user name implies).
The code behind the "Resize" (a photo) button in Ideas Genie is derived from his code.

Still to come in Bank Genie is Graphs and Pie-Charts. Cesar (and other contributors in the team perhaps) has developed the code to do that already. I look forward to providing that functionality in Bank Genie.

The guys on that team work as a "community" and their incredibly good work is freely available to other developers (like me) through that open source project.

It would be difficult to find a better or more enthusiastic support team.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:29:48 PM by ideasguy »