Author Topic: Standing Orders & Direct Debits  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Ray

Standing Orders & Direct Debits
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
I keep the accounts for a charity and we generate a fund for administration by directing a proportion of each donation to our admin fund. Most of our donations are by standing order so I need to be able to split the donation amount into funds for admin and funds for projects and there can be more than one project for a donation.
It would be useful therefore if the transaction splitting option were available when setting up new standing orders.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Standing Orders & Direct Debits
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
The volume is rising on that request, Ray :)

I had to do a bit of searching, but found this topic where the creation of splits in Standing Orders would be useful:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1908.0.html

Its on the "To Do" list.
It requires a database structure change so has to wait until Bank Genie 5 series (currently in development).
It should be easy enough to implement.

Offline barryl

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »
I made infrequent use of a similar feature in Quickenb (memorised split transactions) but so infrequently it did not seem worth insisting on it for BGP4.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Thanks Barry.

To avoid confusion, or misleading anyone, both Bank Genie and Bank Genie Pro do allow split transactions, both when adding transactions manually and when importing.
Thus, if you have been using split transaction type Standing Orders in MS Money or Quicken, your data will be imported to Bank Genie Pro correctly.
Ray was surprised (pleasantly I hope) that his data was intact after import.
In our phone conversation when he first made enquiries I didn't explain that properly.

To further clarify:-
  • TO DO
    its the spilt option in the creation of Standing Orders which I have on the "To Do" list.
  • ALREADY
    Both Bank Genie and Bank Genie Pro already DO allow split transactions to be added - MANUALLY
  • ALREADY
    Data imported from other Money software (using the Bank Genie Pro import program) will ALREADY import with your splits

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
I've been working on this all last week. Its a major change, complicated by things like
a) Multiple Tags per split element (also NEW)
b) Transfers to another currency
c) S/O Date changes pending feature etc.
d) Password protected Security settings in Multi User environment (Access to accounts, Transfers allowed, Write allowed etc)

All features are unlikely to be required by any one user, but each of those features may be selectively required by some users.
I have to make the system cope "universally".

Since it required a database structure change, it will be released in the Bank Genie 5 upgrade.
I'll make a pre-release (beta) copy available to Ray and BarryL to test.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:01:42 PM by ideasguy »