Author Topic: Replying to a message which is NOT the last message in a thread  (Read 4605 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Replying to a message which is NOT the last message in a thread
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:12:42 AM »
In this forum, you can only post a reply to the last message in a thread (or topic)

What if you'd like to comment on something in the thread, but its not the last message?
Most likely the last message is a posting by another member, not the member you'd like to address your reply to.

In that case, use the Reply with Quote option.

Use this thread to try it out.
Pick up some discussion point (see below) in this message, or any other message in the thread, use it (or part thereof- just the relevant bit) as a quote in your reply, and add your comments.
Click the Reply with Quote option, then edit the text to remove unwanted parts of the copied text, leaving the part of the message you want to "quote".
You'll notice there are tags at the beginning and end of the quote when you are editing your reply. Dont edit the tags, otherwise the quote wont work.
When the reply is posted, the tags disappear, and you are left with quoted text, highlighted, and automatically referring to the person who made the quote.
Test only, but who knows, maybe we'll develop a discussion!

Discussions points:

Nothing is waste to a gardener. Do you agree?

My dandelions are on their 3rd flush this year. I go mental over those blasted weeds. I spend hours in spring digging them out of borders and grass to stop them self seeding. But, they aways win. They put on another flush when I'm not lookin' and the cycle continues. Is there a more annoying weed?

Ive got a real problem with some words in the gardening world. My brain thinks propagation should be propOgatiion, and then there's herbaceous versus herbacious. Have a surf on the net, and you'll find lots of pages with BOTH, so theres obviously lots of people out there with the same mindset!
A mis-spelling stands out like a sore thumb. Do you find that?
Now, thats bad enough. What about plant names? There are so many variations in spelling of some plants on the net that they could very well be mistaken for different cultivars. Lets think now... what plant has the biggest number of spelling variations on the net?

Please give it a go.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:20:46 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
Re: Replying to a message which is NOT the last message in a thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:20:21 AM »
Crapemyrtle has lots of spellings.  Gene
what plant has the biggest number of spelling variations on the net?

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
Re: Replying to a message which is NOT the last message in a thread
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 02:25:11 AM »
Thanks George, I think I've got it now.
What if you'd like to comment on something in the thread, but its not the last message?
Most likely the last message is a posting by another member, not the member you'd like to address your reply to.