Author Topic: Beginners Garden  (Read 3408 times)

Offline MargeSimpson

Beginners Garden
« on: October 09, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board and thought that I would jump in at the deep end and share some piccies of my garden. Please be kind as this is my first year with a new garden.   ;D
I spent the winter digging it up as the garden belongs to a new build. I pulled out everything from building blocks to coke bottles to metal clips that hold blocks together (apparently  :-\). I reckon the house could fall down around my head with all the clips I found.
Anyhow, I went a bit nuts in March/April sowing seeds, the hot press and every window sill in the house was full of propagators and 3" pots!! I planted loads of Gladioli & Dahlias in May. I was determined to have summer colour my first year!!
The garden is a bit 'higgildy piggildy' but I hope to sort it out as time goes on. I have removed the Silver dust from around the patio now and planted Buxus. Which is turning yellow now and I can't figure out if it's dieing or just changing colour! You can see some pics here:  http://uk.geocities.com/so_harley/. I am going to try and keep a diary of my garden so that I can remember what worked where, etc. That's it for now!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Beginners Garden
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:06 PM »
Hi "Marge"
First of all, thank you for registering as a member. Needless to say, you are very welcome here. From our previous email correspondence I could sense that you are filled with enthusiasm, and that is borne out in the flurry of activity on the forum since you registered!!

Thanks for posting a link to the photos.
Well, I have to say I am well impressed! That is a terrific effort for year 1, and the garden looks quite mature in August!
You've certainly achieved your objective, lots of colour. No doubt the Dahlias are still blooming strong, so you should have lots of colour for a while yet.
I like 'higgildy piggildy'. More often that not you'll produce a lovely combination of 2 or more plants. In year 2 you can fix the mistakes.
Its all part of the fun of gardening!

I'm testing my new Photo Printing program (it will also be available to FG users)
Ive downloaded your photos, and printed 2 pages, each with 3 @ 4.5x3.5 in photos per page, one page for June, and one page for August.
They look real good!

Re: The Buxus
I'd be worried about it. They are usually a steady evergreen.
Ive grown all my garden dividing box hedges from cuttings. Mine get a bit jaded when I give them a hard clipping. Have you pruned yours recently?
Is it plain green or variegated?

I lost one precious Buxus. It was a variegated variety. I had neglected it a bit (in its pot) but it died after planting it out.
Yours may recover now we are having more rain in Ireland. Keep us informed. It woud be educational to know what happens, particularly if you can find a reason why it struggled.

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work!

Offline MargeSimpson

Re: Beginners Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 08:21:33 AM »
How did you recognise the Dahlias in the photo? They are really small, I'd have never guessed that's what they were. I think I may have lost a buxus plant. I have a row of them around the patio and one or two are definitely looking under the weather. I have had to cut dead sprigs from some of them. Hope I don't lose any more!