Author Topic: Weather bites back!  (Read 1920 times)

NightHawk

Weather bites back!
« on: December 24, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Currently sitting here without any power.

The severe weather conditions we've experienced here in the south of England over the past 24 hours has taken its toll.

We believe a tree, brought down by the gale force winds, has fallen onto power lines.  Power went off at 12.35a.m. this morning and engineers are trying to repair the damage.  Don't yet know when that will be.

Luckily, no damage has been caused to our house.

I'm able to send this message from my iPad through my cellular network SIM card, but battery power is running low on this device now so can't do too much until I can recharge it when power returns in our house.

Merry Christmas ......
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:35:53 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Weather bites back!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
We are having it a bit less severe here Laurie. I sympathise with you!

We can also see TV footage of all those who are stranded at airports who wont make it home for Christmas :'(
Fortunately, Tara flew home last Thursday :)

Still a risk of power failure. Lets hope that doesn't happen.
I hope the engineers have your power restored soon Laurie!

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
Power restored.  Came back on at 3.45pm.

I had also seen the news reports of the chaos the adverse weather conditions was causing to all modes of travel.  It's very sad and inconvenient at the best of times when this happens, but to occur over the Christmas period is a very bitter blow, with many family reunions affected.

Apart from localised flooding on roads and fields from the heavy rainfall around our area, we haven't had any really serious flooding issues.  Thankfully, we don't live on a floodplain or in an area where rivers break their banks and flow into surrounding streets and houses.  We have seen this on the news occurring in other areas and it must be devastating to the people who experience this.

Glad to hear that Tara got away safely George.

I don't think many parts of the UK are risk-free from this weather at the moment though.  The latest storm appears to be moving northwards now, so we need to keep an eye on the latest weather reports for Met Office warnings and advice until it subsides again.

Anyway, fingers crossed that you escape the worst of the weather where you are George.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
That's better news from you Laurie!
My heart goes out to those who are without power today and those who are stranded.

I braved the elements for my evening walk around 10:30 pm last night (much later than usual) and I was surprised at how it had calmed down and not nearly as cold as in my morning walk.
Its bright and calm here this Christmas morn'.

Merry Christmas everyone :)