Author Topic: Stormy weather ahead  (Read 2561 times)

NightHawk

Stormy weather ahead
« on: October 27, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
We're bracing ourselves here in the south for the storm that's heading our way from the Atlantic.

Due to arrive tonight, we're on 'Amber Alert' for hurricane force winds - 60 to 80 mph  :o

I've been out in the garden trying to make safe any loose ornaments and garden furniture, that could be potential missiles if they get lifted up and blown about by the winds.

It's expected to be in our region until Monday before travelling northeastward.

If you're in any of the affected areas for this storm, take extra care.

We're already experiencing stronger than normal winds as a prelude to this storm.

Here in the New forest we're surrounded by trees, so we're expecting to see broken branches or fallen trees over many of the roads.  Also downed power lines are a possibility, especially if trees fall across them.

Travel disruption is expected as a result, and if rain comes with the storm then flooding is also a big risk.

All in all, quite a worrying time ahead.

Offline Palustris

Re: Stormy weather ahead
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
We are out of the main area of it, but we have had strong winds and squalls for two days now. Keep your toupees tied on tight!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »
I'm very relieved to say we have arrived home safely.

We flew into Birmingham on Friday. Ive never ever had such a scary approach and bumpy landing due to those high winds- the plane slewed from side to side down the runway, so the pilot did a very good job ;)
The homeward journey was more routine (even though the wind was probably higher)- a bit of a bumpy landing but nothing to make anyone worried.
Two members of the family are flying home tomorrow evening :o

The wedding was wonderful! 230 guests, so quite an event!
The groom was from Glasgow and his side was very well supported - very friendly people and great chat!
Our niece was the beautiful bride. My wife was so proud of her sisters little girl :)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »
We managed to get through the storm unscathed.  Phew!

Apart from one ceramic pot plant that got blown off our rear patio step and smashed on the ground (which I had overlooked when preparing our house yesterday morning), everything else is intact.

The worst of the storm winds have now moved past us heading northeastward.  There's a much lesser strong wind at the moment which will eventually subside as the day goes on.

We're not intending to go out onto the roads today.  News reports have said that some trees have come down across roads in various areas, with some flooding.  Dorset seem to have taken the brunt of the storm damage with about 100 trees down across their roads.

The Isle of Wight, just to the south of us, recorded wind speeds of 96 mph during the early hours today.  It had lessened slightly by the time it reached where we live, probably because we are not as exposed in this part of Hampshire in the New Forest.

All in all, we have been very lucky here.  But I'm sure there are many people who have not faired as well.  I didn't get much sleep last night due to the storm noise, which seemed to peak at about 5.20am, which was accompanied by heavy rain.  It was very scary.

Offline barryl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
Glad you are home safely George and that you enjoyed the wedding.

Here in Cambridge we seem to have missed the worst of it though there has been some damage nearby.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »
Thanks Barry.
You were right in the "flight path" Laurie! I can imagine the relief when that force of nature passes by!

Its a bright and breezy day here. Sun is shining so may take a break in the garden later :)