Computers > Security

Akamai NetSession Client

(1/5) > >>

ideasguy:
Got this message on startup this morning:

Go to Control Panel.
Is Akamai Netsession Interface Control listed?

If yes:
Click on Akamai Netsession Interface Control :-
There are four tabs.
Is anything listed under Applications?
Mine is blank.
Under Preferences tab- is it running on your computer?
Under the same tab, you'll find the location for the Download Cache Folder.
Open that folder. Mine is empty.
While there, you'll find another folder called logs.
This is the bit I DONT like
In there, I see a log being created every hour (of up time).
Started hourly on 28th Sept this year.
There are only two entries before that date:- 14th Dec 12 and 28th June 13.

Click Support tab.
Click the link:
Akamai Netsession Interface FAQ.
In that document you'll read this:

--- Quote ---When is Akamai NetSession Interface installed?
The Akamai NetSession Interface is automatically installed when end users download content from software companies that wish to provide the best download performance to their clients. The NetSession Interface software greatly enhances the quality and speed of downloads and video streams from websites that utilize Akamai technology.

Why am I seeing a prompt to allow network access for "netsession_win.exe" and "netsession_mac"?
"netsession_win.exe" and "netsession_mac" are the executable file names for the Akamai NetSession Interface software. Akamai continually improves the NetSession Interface software in order to provide the greatest performance to our customers. In order for NetSession to enhance and accelerate Internet content downloads and streaming it needs certain local permissions such as network access. Depending on the settings of the Operating System and Antivirus software these auto-updates may require confirmation from the end user.

Why am I getting the Akamai NetSession Interface update?
Akamai continually improves the NetSession Interface software in order to provide the greatest performance to our customers. Auto-updates are a normal process for software updates.

--- End quote ---

Ive  stopped the "service" (by clicking Stop Under Preferences in Akamai Netsession Interface Control)

Does anyone allow this process?

Ive spent two hours of precious time investigating and writing this up.

roiphil:
George have just looked on my pc and i cant find that in control panel, isn't symnatec norton antivirus

NightHawk:
I've had Akamai NetSession Client running on my PC since November 2011, although I don't recall what program installed it initially.

I have Norton 360 and WinPatrol installed which monitors if any unauthorised changes are being made to system files by any other programs.  I've not had any issues with this occurring.

It will be interesting to see if George comes up with any info that casts concern over this program, and if it is really of any use anyway.  Also, disabling Akamai could interfere with the running of the program that installed it, so that is another issue to watch out for.

Palustris:
This makes interesting reading.
http://www.werockyourweb.com/forums/what-is-akamai-netsession-client-netsession-win-exe
Personally I would get rid of it PDQ.

Eric Hardy:
I have checked on my laptop (Windows 7) and on my i Mac and nowhere can I find anything called Akamai NetSession. For some reason it hasn't wormed it's way into my systems. When installing a programme in the future I had better be very vigilant and make certain I check or uncheck those little boxes as appropriate. It is only too easy to install a programme you don't want by not unchecking a box. It doesn't sound the sort of thing I need, George  :o

Eric H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version