Author Topic: Serif DrawPlus X5 / X6  (Read 7593 times)

NightHawk

Serif DrawPlus X5 / X6
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
This is a very versatile program.

Once you've created your masterpiece, you first of all save your work in its native format of .dpp which retains all your layers, separate elements of a graphic you've created, background transparency, etc., so you can go back another time and make alterations.  Much the same way that Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro allows you to build up an image on separate layers.

When you've done that, you select the menu option to 'Export', which gives you further options to export as an image, video or CAD/CAM, depending on the type of file you're creating.

The image formats  you can select are:  PNG / BMP / EMF / FPX / GIF / JPG / PCX / SMF / SVG / TGA / TIFF / WDP / WMF

The program also publishes your work as a PDF if you want that option.

As with all graphical software, it takes a bit of getting used to, but the help files are good and there are online tutorials through the Serif website explaining various features of the program.  I'm still learning about its full potential, so I'm not an expert at it just yet  :D

Here's a link to the Serif website where you can read more about DrawPlus.  It features their new version X6, which has more exciting features than X5.  You may want to download the X5 User Manual from their website if you decide to grab a bargain of the X5 sell-off price at £20.

You can download a free trial version of the program, which is the DrawPlus X5 Starter Edition (click on the 'Free Downloads' menu at the top of the page) to see if you like the program.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Serif DrawPlus X5 / X6
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Great find Laurie. I may give it a try.
I visited the website but on a quick look, I didn't see the £20 sell off option.
I'll revisit later.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »
Here's the link for DrawPlus X5 at £19.99.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
Thanks again Laurie.
I notice a "few" (not cheap) extras - e.g. User Guide, Resource Guide, Download Protection Service.
Does the software not come with a User Guide?

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »
It does come with a built-in user guide George.

The printed manual is for anyone wishing to have a solid book to read instead of a digital version.

The other digital user guide I mentioned is available from the Serif website (FREE download) which I think is a bit more comprehensive than the built-in version through the 'Help' menu of the program.

I don't have the printed user guide and I find the other versions good enough.

Serif emailed me a couple of weeks ago with an upgrade offer to X6 which included the printed User Guide free (this is normally £14.99 to buy separately), but I wasn't in a position to get that offer at the time.

I can either email you a copy of the digital user guide, or give you the link at Serif to download it, if you decide to give it a try.

P.S.  Serif is a British company, based in Nottingham, England, which makes a pleasant change  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:46:21 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »
I bought the £19.99 version Laurie (Drawplus X5 and PanoramaPlus X4).
Both downloaded, installed and registered easily.
Ive had a quick look at each of them.
Its going to take a bit of time to get productive! Its should be fun for James :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:21:05 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »
Is that X4 a different offer you got there George - or do you mean X5?

X5 is the version I have and was the one on offer at £19.99  ???

Either way, I'm sure you'll have fun learning.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »
Oooops! My mistake - Drawplus X5 Laurie. Ive corrected my posting ::)

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
That's a relief George.  For a moment there I thought you'd got the wrong deal  ::)  Phew!