Author Topic: Winter Losses  (Read 2662 times)

Offline johnryden

• My Garden on MyFolia
Winter Losses
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
I have now had time to take stock of which plants I lost during the harsh winter we had in the UK 2012 - 2013.  This included the following: aubrieta red swan; Cerastium tomentosum; Cotula hispida; Euryops acraeus; Geranium pratense 'hocus pocus'; Hebe pinguifolia; Lupina supina; Lithodora diffusa; Lythrum salicaria; Trifolium repens; Geranium Ballerina and a seven year old Acer.  The Ceanothus only just survived and has hardly flowered this year.

All of the plants lost were in the back garden - I did not lose anything from the front.  The back faces North-east and most of the lost plants came from the same area of the garden exposed to all those weeks of easterly cold winds that we suffered.  The scree bed was particularly badly affected with around half the plants in it dying over the winter.  I have had a miserable day today digging out the dead remains and fruitlessly searching for plants which should have come up by now but haven't!

Offline Palustris

Re: Winter Losses
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
Sad to lose precious plants, I know, we lost a fair number too. Expensive too!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Winter Losses
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
It's heartbreaking to lose plants, John. I sympathise.
I've never lost cerastium and I've had it in the garden for many years (one of my favourites!)
Ive grown a few Ceanothus. One lasted a few years among other shrubs, but like yours, it upped and died :'( a great pity as it was six ft high and wide and a great show each year.
I don't have them any more. 
I have a Euryops in a pot, survived! Mind you, I'ts a replacement for my original bought at a plant sale in a location by the sea so it was used to milder climates. nice plant!

Will you replace like for like or choose new plants?