Plants > Peonies

suprise plant!

(1/3) > >>

trishs:
We discovered a peony we don't recall ever having flowered before.  It is growing alongside another normal pink coloured one.  They tend to get swamped by weeds and other plants being in a bed that doesn't get attention early enough in the season.  I don't remember ever buying this so I have no idea if it's a particular named variety.  I shall try and look after them better from now on, although they are supposed to thrive on benign neglect ;)  The one at our last house certainly did.

struggling through the macleaya...

The tree peony that I planted out further along the same border is also in bud, and also in need of some attention!

The fattest and most scrumptious of all flowers, a rare fusion of fluff and majesty, the peony is now coming into bloom.
–Henry Mitchell, American writer (1923-93)

Palustris:
It could be a seedling. Friends of ours have a lovely peach coloured one which is definitely a hybrid as it grows between two of different hues.

ideasguy:
The photo is a little on the bright side, Trish. If it is still in flower, can you get another one for comparison?

trishs:
I'll go and see in the morning, weather permitting.  I sent Rog to take a few photos for me and he didn't quite do them all as I would have liked, so ideally I need to make a return trip. 

We went for a trek up to the hill Tuesday afternoon (I daren't go up there on my own as it's steep in places and not level underfoot) so I could see how the field is coming along.  He'd strimmed a few paths and intended to improve them with the mower but the new mower (a replacement after a burglary last year) isn't up to the job in the same way as the old one was so he's going to have to do more work with the strimmer. 

We need to cut some proper paths so that we can explore and see what plants are hidden amongst the grass.  We also need paths to encourage the glow worms to strut their stuff :)  I didn't manage to get far onto the hillside but I did spot several species one of which was ajuga.  He tells me there is hay rattle near the top but I really want photographic evidence, which was why I sent him back up the garden to photograph that along with other interesting things we'd noticed or I wanted a record of.  I was completely exhausted and couldn't go back myself, it's quite a long walk for a doddery thing such as myself.

ideasguy:
Don't go to too much trouble Trish. Rog might get a better pic on a duller day. My own preference is to take photos when the sun goes behind a cloud - not much of a problem here in Ireland ;D

--- Quote ---He'd strimmed a few paths and intended to improve them with the mower but the new mower (a replacement after a burglary last year) isn't up to the job in the same way as the old one was so he's going to have to do more work with the strimmer. 

--- End quote ---
I sympathise on all counts there. It must be very annoying for Rog. A good lawnmower makes the job less of a chore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version