Author Topic: Using two computers for the same data  (Read 7045 times)

Offline dajoco

Using two computers for the same data
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »
I keep accounts for a charity and when I work from home I use my home desktop but when I am in the charity office I use their lap-top.  To keep things in synch I do the opposite to normal practice. Instead of using a usb stick for back up I keep the main database on the usb stick which I use for both computers.  I then create a back up to whichever computer I am currently using.  This was not my own idea because George suggested it when I had registered a second copy of Bank Genie Pro 4 and he rang me up to see how I was getting on with the program.  Now you don't get that sort of service from Microsoft! Anyway, the system is working very well so thanks for the suggestion.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Using two computers for the same data
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:44:18 PM »
Excellent!
That technique is what I refer to as "reverse logic"  ;D - a very good way to obviate the need to keep two computers in synch.
I'm delighted its working for you David.

Many don't take up my offer of a free support call.
Its something I enjoy and I learn a lot from speaking to users.
The satisfaction is knowing that someone is up and running after our session :)

Offline barryl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I do something similar but I use THREE computers.

I dont actually keep the master on a stick but I use a stick to transfer the data between computers.

I am actually quite happy about that as it means that I have multiple disaster backups.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
I did something similar with my computer (Windows XL) and Laptop (Windows 7) and my master on a small portable hard drive and (naturally) it was George who got me using his "reverse logic" I felt comfortable in that I had two back ups, one on the computer and the other on the laptop. Unfortunately, with my change to a Mac for my main computer I don't have the two sources to restore to.

Eric H

Offline Tony Ray

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
You will be aware that there hasn't been much activity on this topic for a while!! However, I read the comments with interest. I am trying to figure out a way of doing something similar. We are going to France soon and I am trying to see if I can use Bank Genie on my wife's Lap top (my desktop is huge so won't fit in my caravan!). Does this mean that I can transfer the main programme to an external hard drive or memory stick and use that for the core programme and just switch back and forth between PC and laptop? Or do I need to purchase another copy?
Grateful for some help.
Cheers
Tony Ray

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Hi Tony

That is quite easy. However you do need a second licence. See option 4 here:
http://www.bankgenie.net/buyBG/buybg.html

First, You install Bank Genie Pro 4 (the edition you are using) on your laptop.
I will send you the link to the latest download, since there are quite a few changes since you purchased your CD back in Jan 13 (or you can have a new CD of course - see Option 6 on Buy page above).

Then, you do a backup from your desktop to an external device (e.g. a Flashdrive).
That "backup" can now be used for your live data as described by David (dajoco) in the initial posting above.
It can then be used from both your Desktop and from your Laptop.

I will give you a call to help you set that up if you wish.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:10:07 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Tony Ray

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
Thank you George. I will do as you suggest and purchase an extra licence. I am using Bank Genie Pro 4 - licence number EBUC91762. As I mentioned in another post, yesterday I downloaded an update but because I have been very remiss so I haven't a clue if I am up to date with all updates. Would be grateful for some guidance. I will let you know as soon as I have purchased the extra licence and would then be grateful for you assistance in setting up.
Regards
Tony Ray

Offline Tony Ray

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
Hi George,
I sent you an email to say that I had purchased the extra licence. However, I have a few minor problems. I did as you said and installed Bank Genie on wife's lap top from my existing CD. I then backed-up my database onto a flash drive. Following the receipt of my payment acknowledgement I used the URL you sent me and used that on my wife's computer. It then said it could not continue as the software already existed on the computer. I have not seen a licence number to enable me to register the copy on my wife's lap top. What am I doing wrong (it must be me - it usually is!!)? Help!
Regards
Tony Ray

Offline Tony Ray

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
All now sorted thanks to George's invaluable help.
What a Star!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
Yes - a quick phone call can save a lot of correspondence!
I hope Bank Genie will enjoy that trip to France ;D

Offline barryl

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »
Bank Genie has enjoyed trips to far and wide in my laptop....