Author Topic: Backing up and Restoring - Using a Flash Disc (Memory pen)  (Read 6545 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Backing up and Restoring - Using a Flash Disc (Memory pen)
« on: September 08, 2006, 11:38:10 PM »
This is by far the easiest way to backup your Ideas Genie Pro data files onto a removable disc, and those little flash discs are very reasonable. You can carry it anywhere in your pocket, handbag or briefcase.

Here's one method. For this to work, use the exact folder names as shown.

1. Create a folder on the Flash Disc (i: drive) called:
igdata_sets
Thats an underscore, NOT a dash. Make sure you name it exactly!!
The full path to this folders is:
i:\igdata_sets

Next make a Sub Folder within that folder called:
backup
The full path to this folders is now:
i:\igdata_sets\backup
Note: You CAN change the folder name backup to another name if you wish, but not the other folder names.

Next make a Sub Folder within THAT sub-folder called:
igdata
The full path to this folders is now:
i:\igdata_sets\backup\igdata

2 Start Ideas Genie Pro (keep the Flash Disc attached)

3 Run program System (menu tab)>System Paths -GA197
In Alternate System Backup Path click Get a directory
Find and select:
i:\igdata_sets\backup\igdata
on the Flash Drive
Click Save Changes. (GA197 closes)

4 Start System > Backups -GA201
Change the Backup to pop-up to Alternate Backup Directory (folder)
Click Do Test
If all files are intact, screen GA201S02 appears.
Click Do Backup

Thats the backup done (In actual fact, you have created a SWAP database)
***************************************************************************************
Restoring
If you want to get techy, the fiddling about you did above is called Configuring the System Paths.
Once the configuring is done for the backup, you dont have to do it again, and you dont have to do any more configuring to restore the files.
If you are moving the files to another computer, then you will need to repeat Step 2 above on the New computer (be sure to attach the Flash to the new computer).

1. Insert the Flash Disc in the drive

2 Start Ideas Genie Pro

3 Start the program:
System>Restore Files>Restore Files-GA203
Change the Restore From pop-up to Alternate Backup Directory
Click on Step1 - Do Test
If the files are intact, screen GA203S02 will appear.
Click Do Restore

Thats it - job done!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:52:07 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Backing up and Restoring - Using a Flash Disc (Memory pen)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 04:02:12 PM »
George, this kind of info is very usefull. I've printed it out as I use the flash discs frequently and think Backing up and Restoring IG in this way is an interesting application.
If you hand out these bits info from time to time and bring them together later you have a well written and understandable manual.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »
Thanks Andre, and yes, its good User Guide material.
Let me know how it goes for you.

Theres another bonus.
Keep the flash attached to the computer.
Start IG Pro.
Start any Program under the Programs tab
Click on the Data Source pop-up
If you've used the path structure suggested above, you'll see the database on Flash in the pop-up list.
Select it.
The database on hard disc is closed.
The database on Flash is opened
You can actually add, edit and delete the data on the Flash.

Why? You have made what I call a SWAP database.

Let your mind run riot with the possibilities!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »
Can some of you techie people give me some help, it seems the more I read, the confuse-der I get. I have enuf data entry into IG Pro that I must do Back Ups on a regularly basis for my computer. The computer I am using for Pro is basically dedicated to IG software, although it has software like M/S Office Suite for email, internet access, etc., along with some other garden related software. It isn?t the mechanics that bother me so much, it is the where-as?s and what-for?s. I?ll be burning with a Sony 18X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive using Roxio Creator 8 software. I have Memorex DVD+R DL  recorders (disks). The Roxio offers Automatic Data Protection for scheduling regular back up of all files. Also, One Button Backup to perform an immediate backup using Backup MyPC?s default settings, or Backup Wizard if I would like help stepping through the backup and control over what gets backed up, when the backup occurs, and choice of options. With One Button Backup a full backup will be performed if 10 differential backups have been performed since the last full backup, or if seven days have passed since the last backup.

I will be storing the Backup DVD?s off premises from my office, which is a nearby garage. I also understand that there is a way to use a series of several DVD?s for backup, and by using them in sequence, ie., diskette #1 for the first, #2 the next, #3 the next and then reusing (re-writing) #1 again for the next backup after that. If I am prompted to insert another DVD, then it would be considered part of the #1, or #2 or #3 set (burn). (I hope I?m making sense.) I believe the reason for doing this way as I understand, is if I get a bad burn, I can go back and use the preceding good burn.

What I would like to do is perform a complete backup every seven days at the time I select. I?m hitting the data entry on a regular basis, a couple of hours each morning. Would every seven days be often enough to do a backup? I would like to do the backup as simply as possible, and still be protected. Many, many thanks for helping me out!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:40:58 AM »
Hi Toby
The most important thing about backups is being able to restore them!

In my profession, Ive worked with Database Administrators who have had the misfortune to find their backups are worthless.
The situation is where a server hard disc has failed.

In my opinion, backups should be tested regularly. This is best done on a "fresh" computer.
You should be able to safely restore the data from the backup media onto the fresh computer.
In one software house where I worked, we offered a "fresh" computer for that purpose for clients, one of which was a local Bank.
They had a procedure whereby once every 3 months they brought along their backups and restored them onto the "fresh" computer.

In the home PC environment? A second computer may be required.
OR
Immediately a good backup is done, restore important sections from it. That in itself has some risks - e.g. if the backup is flawed.

Its much easier with IG Pro data, I'm pleased to say.
The process described in this thread is absolutely fail safe, since you can actually point IG to the backup data on the Flash (using the SWITCH program FG026 in FG, GA026 in IG, IG Pro and Bonsai Genie) open it, and play with it.
It can also be restored using the method described.

Have you tried the backup to Flash Toby? Comments from members would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 07:59:28 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
George: I'm not too sure if you simplified it for me, or made it just that more complicated. But, I'm sure we will get things under control. I'm not too sure if I got all your reply, there were a couple of words that didn't make sense at the bottom, after a large blank area. Would you check this out, and I'll go back to your reply again.

Otherwise, I get the message from you that I need to buy a flash drive? If so, what capacity, preference to brand? In that case I would not use Roxio or the DVD drive for backup for anything? What about the rest of my computer that is not on IG software, or to re-phrase, the flash drive would only backup IG?

I, too, would like to hear from other members on this. So that we have a simple routine, with the right equipment, and not get that feeling that you might lose data after all the work of entering it in. Whatever, you suggest goes for me!

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
I use two 500mb devices by Integral.
I carry the Master Database on one. I can put it into any computer I'm working on, and surf for more information, additional plants etc (Using GA026 to SWITCH).
I use the other for backups of my the source of all my software.
I also do backups to a CD about once per month.

They are a liitle "small" by todays standards. I would recommend a 1GB device.
I also have a 4gb device. I find it is painfully slow to write to! I wonder if others have made similar observations?

Flash is perfect for backing up data which you create using programs - your OWN work. Thus, use it for your Microsoft Ofiice data files, and of course, for IG.
Continue to do the other backups you mentioned in your first posting.

Frequency?  Once per week minimum - more regularly if you have the time.

P.S. I removed the straggling words - they shouldnt heve been posted.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:42 PM »
George: I think you are giving me a little more of what I want now re: backup(s). You are going to have to take this painfully slow with me (remember I'm your Senior Idiot!!) I think the best thing for both of us would be to describe what I do at my end. I have your software, the FG, Pro and Master Database. I want to protect them, but I can't imagine me using somebody else's computer, or walking around with the SWAP file in my pocket, etc. I'm a loner, I don't do those things, but when it does occur we will check it out then. So I have the data using your software, and most of the other things on this computer are garden related (meaning in essence, that they are also related to IG software, because it's all in a neat package right in front of me). Included in that might be e-mail newsletters from Suppliers, the Forum of course, using my scanner, using my camera, printing out labels for markers, etc., basically all 'Gardening" related. So what I need is a neat, tight little package of routine probably using a combination of flash drives, DVD's, Roxio, or whatever you suggest. I had hoped that tight little package might be adaptable for other members of the Ideas Genie Community. Would there be 'a one size fits all' complete backup for all of us? Appreciate it all! What do you think my first move should be? Thanks, - Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »
We all have senior moments, Toby, but anyone who can navigate this forum AND post messages is close to becoming a computer whizz kid  :)  IG Pro requires a lot of computer savvy to plumb its full extent and you are doing just great! The program extends our knowledge in the world of gardening and computers. I'm learning all the time!

The procedures which you described in your original posting are as close as you will get to a "one size fits all" solution for backups.
It save everything - all systems! Means the user doesnt have to know a) what needs to be backed up (it backs up the lot) and b) where they are located (the things that NEED to be backed up).

You do NOT need a second computer. I was describing the procedure used by a Bank. Very few people have the luxury of a spare computer lying about.
I was also describing a specific method (using Flash) to back up IG data files.
I can help there, because I know exactly what needs to be backed up (as described above, and below).
Outside of IFG software, everyone has individual backup requirements, based on the software they use.

How do individuals know what their specific needs are?
Its best to get to know your own computer.

In the old days, a computer user knew EXACTLY where their folders and data was located.
The computer started with a black screen, with a Dos prompt.
The user had to
a) navigate to a folder where programs were located by typing commands.
b) They had to type a commands to start a program.
c) Everything was done by typing.

Windows hides all that.
However, The mechanism is exactly the same, but you now have a mouse and Icons, which do both a) b) and c) above - at a click of a mouse.

To get to know your computer, you need to use the programs provided in your operating system.
a) Windows Explorer (if you have that program)
b) My Computer (all computers have that)
Either will do.

Start by locating the IG Pro program files.
GA200 tells you where ALL your files are located (IG Pro 5 and later)

Since you are IG Pro 5, your program files are located here by default:
c:\program files\ideasforgardens\Ideas Genie Pro 5

Anyone using an older version -
Look for a folder UNDER:
c:\program files\ideasforgardens\
Your programs AND data files are located there. In the older versions, I put everything in ONE folder.

IG Pro 5 data files
This is all changed now to comply with Windows Vista.
ALL data fies are User specific AND must NOT be stored in the Program Files folder .
Again look for info in GA200. See 6 - Core Data folder.
Lets say YOUR user name on YOUR  computer is TOBY
Your IG Pro 5 data files (if Windows XP) will be located in the folder:
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\TOBY\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\IDEASFORGARDENS\IDEAS GENIE PRO 5\

On my computer (Windows XP), its
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GEORGE\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\IDEASFORGARDENS\IDEAS GENIE PRO 5\

When you add, edit and delete in IG Pro 5, you are actually programatically updating files in that folder.
Thus, thats the personal stuff, and thats what you have to protect - using Backups.

The files in Folder 1 ?
They can easily be replaced. You can install them again from the IG Pro 5 CD. You can download updates.
Thus, it is NOT necessary for you to back them up. Thats my responsibility!

Enuf for one day? Hope this was helpful.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
George: Indeed, it is very helpful. I have been into both of these, i.e., My Computer and Windows Explorer. Not too much of a problem to locate Pro's files, etc. I'm not afraid of either of My Computer or Windows Ex. Will anything drastically happen if I do two different back-ups, meaning using Flash Drive(s) for backing up Pro, and using the Roxio/DVD combo for backing up the whole computer. I would think I would have double protection, particularly for Pro, and that's where all the data entry is in my computer, anyway. If that's a good idea, I'm little confused on previous info from you. What manufacturer and what capacity do I want for the Flash Drive(s). As I understand the Flash Drives plug into High Speed USB 2.0 slot? Right? I want to make sure that I can use them with this computer, I think I have two slots on the front of my CPU which I can access easily, or I have two extra slots on a hub available. Man, between you and Isabell and few others, I think the Forum is coming very much alive! Yes, I'm learning a lot too! - Toby
P.S. I have all by vegetables, basically entered into Pro, will now start experimenting with making marker labels for seed starting, See Yah!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
George: Indeed, it is very helpful. I have been into both of these, i.e., My Computer and Windows Explorer. Not too much of a problem to locate Pro's files, etc. I'm not afraid of either of My Computer or Windows Ex.
That is really good, Toby. Anyone who knows their way around their computer can feel in control of the beast  ;D

Will anything drastically happen if I do two different back-ups, meaning using Flash Drive(s) for backing up Pro, and using the Roxio/DVD combo for backing up the whole computer.

Nothing will happen, other than that you will have two backups, and can feel very secure!

I'm little confused on previous info from you. What manufacturer and what capacity do I want for the Flash Drive(s).

Any Flash will do, Toby.
I would recommend a 1gb. Its more than enough to backup IG Pro data, and loads of other data.

I use 512 Mb
Manufacturer: Integral , and they are very good

I also use a USB 2.0 4Gb device
Manufacturer: Kingston: Model: DataTraveller
That one is quite slow to write to. I'm not sure why.

As I understand the Flash Drives plug into High Speed USB 2.0 slot? Right? I want to make sure that I can use them with this computer, I think I have two slots on the front of my CPU which I can access easily, or I have two extra slots on a hub available.

Those slots are perfect for the Flash devices Ive described.

Man, between you and Isabell and few others, I think the Forum is coming very much alive! Yes, I'm learning a lot too! - Toby
Well - thats good to know  :)  It would be nice to get more members involved.

P.S. I have all by vegetables, basically entered into Pro, will now start experimenting with making marker labels for seed starting
and that is real good!
Are you going to have a go with the Label Program in IG Pro?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:46:40 PM by ideasguy »