Author Topic: Georges garden in June 2013  (Read 5399 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Georges garden in June 2013
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
Come in and have a wander around. A view from the front gate looking up the driveway :)

Below: Some of the plants on the left of the driveway (including my favourite Rodgersia pinnata - not yet in flower but look at those handsome purple leaves)

Below: From back of house, a view from just outside my office window

Below: From back of house, a view from the kitchen window, looking over the patio

Below: And now a look into the garden on the south facing side of the house. This is our "spring garden" - snowdrops, daffodils, tulips, Erythronium, Camellia, Azalea etc etc etc.
The birds love the big Rowan Tree (and the bird feeders we hang from it ;D) The bloom is just going off as you may see. The scent is absolutely beautiful. You catch that in the evening when walking around to the front of the house as we continue this tour.
The pink flower in prominence in this photo is a real puzzle to me. It may be red campion, but it sure loves our garden. My dad planted it. It spreads slowly, certainly not invasively and divides easily. I have planted it in various beds all around the place and given divisions to friends.
My sister's husband is a cousin of the late great John Cushnie - of Gardeners World fame.
She introduced me to him at his garden centre and I took a slip of the plant to show him.
Pulmonaria he immediately said. Problem is, I cant find any photos of  any Pulmonarias which look identical :-\

Below: Under the Rowan Tree, a peep at a lovely little (in my garden!) woodlander - Brunnera macrophylla 'Dawsons White' .
Its on the left of the path in the previous photo (above)

Below: Looking back on the side garden - the cluttered bed is full of Daffodil leaves - have to wait a few weeks for them to die away. Next closeup will be the plants on the right of this photo

Below: The close up.
Paeonia officinalis 'Rubra Plena'  is the centre of attention here. Those big blood red flowers are so heavy they each need staking. A bit drab otherwise so Ive planted a Geranium and a couple of Osteospermums for colour. Also Anthemis Susanna Mitchell   - you can see a few of its airy pale yellow flowers.
I'm very fond of the dead nettle (Lamium maculatum 'Wooton Pink') in this photo. It "glows" in the evening like a beacon.
The white "snow" on the ground is the fallen bloom from the Rowan tree.

Below: and now we enter the front garden. My "new" border on the left.
Next 3 photos will show some of the flowers down that border (just awakening)

Below: My new Acer dissectum with silver plants for contrast. Artemisia 'Powis Castle'  has grown too big in only one year and is leaning all over Nepeta racemosa 'Walkers Low'  (blue spikes - a gorgeous plant)

Below: Lychnis flos-cuculi Jenny  (pink) has almost insignificant flowers when viewed close up, bu they float in the air and look beautiful from a distance. 2 planted here (2012) and a new white one planted a few weeks ago for a nice combination

Below: and a look into Penstemon corner. None in flower yet but five or so have survived the winter.
Anthemis Susanna Mitchell  is first to burst into bloom :D

Below: Turning round and looking over the front lawn to the driveway

Below: Looking back up the new fence border.
Ive planted Livingstone Daisies in that little bed under the tree. No flowers expected for a few weeks yet, but if all goes according to plan will be spectacular.
The white flower in that little bed is Centaurea montana 'Alba'. Its taken a hit from a football, unfortunately ::)

Below: Turning round and looking over the front lawn to the driveway

Below: Looking up the front garden to the house.
The yellow flower in prominence is my yellow equivalent of Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve'.
Beautiful scent 8) 
Next close up will be a nice little flower at the base of the arch.

Below: Inside of the base of the arch - not much space for anything, but this one is perfect.
Saxifraga (London Pride Group) 'London Pride'       
In the pic are a self seeded Welsh Poppy (yellow) and a poppy (mine are a few weeks behind yours Eric)

Below: OK, now lets have a dander around the back garden.
Starting with a view from the back door.
Note the Laburnum in the background. Grown from seed about 20 years ago.
That big weeping conifer is Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula'. The huge Camellia × williamsii 'Donation'  (to the right of the seat) is the pride of spring, but the show is just over for 2013. 
The main path up the garden is just to the right.

Below: A view up the main path

Below: A view to the left of the main path. (I cant show you a view to the right of the path (yet)  :-[ :-[)
A pink Azelea, a gorgeous pale yellow Hemerocallis (Daylily) - don't know the variety as given to me by a very special gardener, Polemonium caeruleum white-flowered and a distant view of Poached Egg Plant corner

Below: A little rockery at the top left of the main path and a view of Poached Egg Plant corner.
Once planted, those Poached Egg plants are there for ever! I have extended the corner every year for a number of years, but not this year. That's yer limit  :) They die off, disappear and about three weeks later next years flowers come up in greater abundance ::)

Below: Another view of Poached Egg Plant corner, looking back down the garden and a glimpse of Laburnum walk (the path to the right).

Below: The big Rhododendron at the top of the garden, planted in rememberence of my father (my sisters idea). It takes a battering from footballs and other missiles but still manages to look good each year.
Behind the Rhodo, the big tall bush with numerous clusters of pink bell shaped flowers  is Weigela florida.

Below: Turning round, and looking down the garden.
This is the "football pitch", golf driving range, bicycle track etc etc.

Below: and another view of "Simons Pond Bed" (left) and the point of Jakes bed (my beloved dog laid to rest here) with even more Poached Egg Plants. I dug all them all up after they self seeded last year and planted some Penstemons and a lovely Veronica 'Charlotte' . They came back (as you see) but I "weeded" most of them away to allow the others to see the sky!

I have to say, Ideas Genie Pro came in useful to help me remember the names of a few plants in this little exercise ;D

Hope you enjoyed the tour :)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:36:23 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Georges garden in June 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
A wonderful show there George.

With all those lovely views from your office window I'm surprised you get any work done at all on your software  :D

Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful garden.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:38 AM »
Only had time for a quick scan through all the pictures atm but did I see a small pot with an aeonium in it?  Maybe one of your new purchases? 

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »
Looks a lot tidier than ours does.
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »
Well thank you - kind folk :)

VERY well spotted Trish 8) That is indeed an Aeonium you spotted in a pot. (Aeonium Schwarzkopf I do believe)
It was actually a gift from my sister which she sent up to overwinter in my greenhouse. It came through just fine. In turn, I'm potting it up again for Naomi (My daughter in law - Jameseys mum) for a summer display and back here for Winter.

P.S. Eric - its not NEARLY as nice as yours - it certainly doesn't have as many plants. Mind you, over the years I may have bought as many, but most of the nice little alpine type plants have long since departed - in general, my garden is not suitable for alpines :(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:38:14 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »
How beautiful and trim everything looks, George, and all your lovely plants seem to be flourishing. Thank you for the tour!

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »
Thank you Eric!
Everyone has been posting photos recently so I had to do something - it was rather embarrassing for the host not to participate.

From Laurie:
With all those lovely views from your office window I'm surprised you get any work done at all on your software
The garden beckons and gets ignored a lot, Laurie.
This fine weather this past few weeks has been so welcome :D

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Well thank you - kind folk :)

VERY well spotted Trish 8) That is indeed an Aeonium you spotted in a pot. (Aeonium Schwarzkopf I do believe)
It was actually a gift from my sister which she sent up to overwinter in my greenhouse. It came through just fine. In turn, I'm potting it up again for Naomi (My daughter in law - Jameseys mum) for a summer display and back here for Winter.

P.S. Eric - its not NEARLY as nice as yours - it certainly doesn't have as many plants. Mind you, over the years I may have bought as many, but most of the nice little alpine type plants have long since departed - in general, my garden is not suitable for alpines :(

Re. the Aeonium, I built up a sizeable collection all from one little plant bought many years ago only to lose them all when a heater broke down unnoticed for several days (and very cold nights!) in our frost-free greenhouse.  But I bought a new starter plant and have several plants again now :)  I usually stand them out as part of a cacti and succulent display during summer but they never made it out of the greenhouse last year, and I'm not sure they all will this year either if the weather doesn't behave.  One thing I would recomend, use a heavy clay pot for them as they get quite unstable as they grow.  I also usually place a large heavy pebble at their feet in the pot to provide ballast :)

Funnily enough, we started off as enthusiastic alpine growers in the seventies but I don't have the patience for fiddling anymore and now we have such a big garden I enjoy growing trees and shrubs and herbaceous stuff more, although we do still appreciate alpine displays at Harlow Carr and flower shows. 

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
very nice garden indeed, my garden is all grass, i especially like the rhodo in rememberance to your dad, when my dad Alan Hunt passed away 2011 i planted an acer titaian ginala unfortunately its not grown much  ??? but i do have more of the same plants in pots,

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
Please, can you show us a more close up image of the unknown pink flower?  it's got me very curious ;)

Your garden is a credit to you, and I am also in awe of your pristine black tarmac!  I'm guessing it's fairly new.  I haven't the heart to remove the moss that grows along certain shady edges of our much older tarmac drive. ( I like moss )

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
Hi Trish
The pink flower is still in bloom so I'll take a close up tomorrow (light may not be good enough at this time of evening).
I'll start a new topic to pose the question.
Tarmac was renewed 2 years ago. It was REALLY black and beautiful at first. I have to lay a flat sheet (from an old door) tight to the kerb when I'm weeding. Its not sealed yet, so soil would fill in the "pores".
As for moss, I absolutely HATE the stuff - anywhere! I read where people like it on old stones and stonework. Not for me I'm afraid. Its a disaster in tarmac. Before renewing the tarmac I had to spray the old tarmac every year to "kill" it - i.e. impossible to kill in a permanent sense.
I also learned a lesson about allowing plants to spill romantically onto the tarmac (e.g. mossy Saxifrage). Looks beautiful, but in time, the tarmac underneath is ruined.
My policy is to keep the tarmac free of soil, plants and moss - if at all possible.

Offline dajoco

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
Very impressive.  I only have a small garden but I do enjoy it and I can see that you enjoy yours - and still find time to write excellent software!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »
Thank you David! As they say - All work and no play...  :D
Its very good to take a break from the computer and get out in the garden - its my way of getting exercise and shedding "a few" pounds I put on over winter!

Heres a few close up photos of that pink flower, Trish.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
What a beautiful pink this "unknown" bloom is too, George.

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »
It looks like a rather nice version of a pink campion to me.  Does it come true from seed?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
Well at least I can tell you which family it is in, the Caryophyllaceae (try saying that without your teeth in!). I would say it was a Lychnis myself.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
Lychnis flos-jovii even.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
Lychnis flos-jovii
That was one I had considered Eric. Jury is out!
In fact, I BOUGHT a Lychnis flos-jovii and have it growing in a different spot, for comparison.
It is healthy and well, but hasn't flowered this season yet.
My original is evergreen. A bit untidy when out of flower, but I gladly live with that.

Ive never grown it from seed, Trish, and Ive never tried to collect seed. Never needed to. Its been in this garden since my Dads time.
I will try and get some seed this year and send some to anyone who wants to try it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:51:15 PM by ideasguy »