Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

apple tree varieties

(1/2) > >>

trishs:
I've recently been trying to decide which apple varieties to buy for our son's new garden.  After a lot of research regarding what best suits the local climate and lots of other considerations I've finally decided upon Genadier and Sunset.  Ordering them before the end of this month will get us a 10% discount and they will arrive in the autumn.  I'll return to this post with pictures to show how they progress, and hopefully bear fruit in the coming years.

I've never actually chosen apple trees before.  There was a Golden Delicious already in the garden when we moved here, but that is now sickly and needing to come out.  And many years ago when my father-in-law gave up his allotment we inherited three tree from him, which have provided for us well for many years.  I'd have to check my notebooks to be sure of the varieties. 

I'm wondering what varieties other forum members grow, and which they particularly might recommend?

trishs:
Oh! just read the post about apple scab and it seems that some of you have Sunset :)  I read that it doesn't keep long but then my son probably wouldn't have time for that anyway, and the varieties we grow keep well enough for all of us to have plenty.

NightHawk:
We've never grown apple trees Trish so we're not able to give any advice on the growing process for you.

From watching gardening programs in the past, do you need to have a 'male' and 'female' tree in the same area for pollenation?

I'm not certain about that, but I'm sure there's other members here who will have some useful advice for you in due course  ;)

Palustris:
No, there is no such thing as male and female apple trees. The are all both. What you need are trees which flower at the same time so that there is cross pollination.
We have 9 trees which go from Katy which is very early  through to Court Pendu Plat which is a very late type and does keep until April of the following season.
This is as good a list as any.
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Apple-Tree-Pollination

ideasguy:
When it comes to growing (and storing) good crops of apples, Eric (Palustris) is the man ;)

I have a few favourites, and Sunset is one, as its bred from Cox.
Cox IS my favourite apple, but I read that its "difficult" to grow here in Ireland.
Other favourites in my garden are Lord Lambourne and James Grieve.
Its a matter of preferred flavour as to what one should grow.
I don't like Golden Delicious and the ones above are unlike them. Used to like Granny Smiths, but they can vary from too green to too ripe. In between they are OK for me - on the green side ::)
In the supermarkets my preferences are 1) Cox and 2) Braeburn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version