Author Topic: Program updates for Bank Genie users  (Read 6474 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Program updates for Bank Genie users
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »
Ive made a number of significant changes to Bank Genie over this past two months.
This posting is to announce their release.

The changes involve a number of programs. The changes are interrelated, so the solution was to lump the program updates into a download group, which are set up in a single file for you to download.

There is a Download file for Bank Genie 4 users, and one for Bank Genie Pro users.
The only word of caution is to make sure you select the correct file for download.
The size of the download files are 8.76MB and 12.4MB respectively (at time of posting).

All Bank Genie users should download these changes.
If you are worried about the file size, please send me an email and we can arrange a CD at a small cost to cover expenses.

Having made that introduction, please visit this page on the Product Support Website:-
1)
http://www.bankgenie.net/support/Program-Updates-Group1/program-updates-group1.html
The download links are in columns 1 (BGPro) and 3 (for BG4).
Scroll down and read the summary of changes.
2)
Please also download the latest fileset  - the link is at the bottom of on this page:-
http://www.bankgenie.net/support/Updates/updates.html
Click the link:- Please read these instructions as the installation method is different for installing a fileset
Again, take care to select the correct download file for your installation (Bank Genie 4 or Bank Genie Pro)

Your comments would be very much appreciated :)

Finally: I am very grateful to Barry, Lee, Mike and Richard for downloading and testing these changes a number of times (as they evolved) prior to this general release.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 02:33:37 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Program updates for Bank Genie users
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
Very clear and concise instructions for this latest update to Bank Genie George.

Although I've not yet had an opportunity to test the new features, the updates went without a hitch  8)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Thanks for confirming that Laurie. It took a while to pull it all together!
The new features are listed on that download page so plenty of fun ahead for all :D

Offline AnthonyM

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Hi George

I've been having a look at the "Home" page in particular the Forecast facility. Could you let me know what it is supposed to do. Does it apply the future Direct Debits and Standing Orders? and if so how far into the future. I've taken the forecast to the start of June when most of my DD should have been applied but this doesn't seem to be reflected in the Forecast.

Anthony 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
No, you have to apply your direct debits and standing orders using the normal processing methods Anthony.

In Bank Genie, my recommendation is to process standing orders at least one month in advance.
Having done that, the forecast facility in the Home page shows the vital information.

The Potential Problems feature shows the first occurrence in the future if an overdraft limit is exceeded.
Again, that works for users when S/O's are processed ahead.

Offline ContraOboe

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »
Hi George,

Updates carried out easily although my eyes will need to get used to the smaller screen (I have managed to resize them enough)

I have found a problem with the C and non-C buttons in Manage Transaction (BGP). The letter C does not appear when I click C. (See below) The reason I went to test this was that earlier today (before I did the update) I was going to let you know that it was possible to 'non-C' and then 'C again' a Reconciled statement; I didn't think that ought to be allowable.  Now ALL my little Cs have vanished.

EDIT ****

I have just looked a thread about the C button and I have tried a new screen resolution (1280 x 768).  I am usually on, and like, 1024 x 768 and I cannot even see the Balance Column although the right hand portion of the frame is visible with the pnik, grey, blue, green button in it. There are no scrolls bars. I should not want to have to buy a new monitor or have to keep changing the resolution to be able to use BGP. Any ideas???

And finally, I could not find the new Type a Tag field in BS421S03. I did find the Type a Cat field

C
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:57:39 PM by ContraOboe »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »
Hi Colin
I haven't made any screens smaller, but I have added an additional column to screen BS421S01 (Manage Transactions) and also widened the Category column.
See Items 3 and 4 here.
http://www.bankgenie.net/support/Program-Updates-Group1/program-updates-group1.html

That would entail the user dragging the screen wider to see the extreme column on the right, which does happen to be that C column.
Click the Font button on screen BS421S01. Choose a smaller font for that screen ONLY.
That feature is provided simply because BS421S01 (and BS408S01-Transaction Analyser) have the largest number of columns than any other screen in the system. You'll find that Font button on each.
Does that help? What font size are you using?

RE:
I was going to let you know that it was possible to 'non-C' and then 'C again' a Reconciled statement
The C button is not required by Bank Genie for reconciliation. I bowed to pressure  ::) to add that C button (and Not C) but its there for the user to control and is NOT used by Bank Genie. As such, yes, the software does allow you to change the C to Non C in a reconciled statement. I don't see why anyone should want to do that  :D
I could make a change to prevent C's being undone in Reconciled statement, but having explained its "usage" is it worth the effort?

RE:
And finally, I could not find the new Type a Tag field in BS421S03. I did find the Type a Cat field
Ah, yes. You need to turn Tags on in Preferences to see that.
I have updated Note 6 on the above page to clarify that - thank you for pointing it out.

Offline ContraOboe

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »
I have added an additional column to screen BS421S01 (Manage Transactions) and also widened the Category column.

Ah I wish you hadn't! At least I do not need the Category column to be so wide even when the category is Employment: Salary & wages which seems to be the largest one I need.

I have decided to use Trebuchet MS size 9 (Bold), but I'm not a happy bunny at that size with 54 year old eyes.  At least everything is on the screen now.

Don't worry about the C buttons they are fine as they are.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
Hi George
Have updated without any problems on desktop, will do laptop later, have had a look at adding credits debits etc very nice layout i do get a warning pop up that says PARENT CATEGORY NOT FOUND IN ARRAY OF ACTIVE CATEGORIES i cliked and get screen Edit Transaction BS421S03 with the same pop up stil showing click ok and pop up goes away when i start to type a transaction name i got another warning about inactive category and i need to make category active so i think i need to make sure all categories are active is this correct
phil

EDIT sorted for some reson all my categories had been set to inactive, one click of a button and all were active again, god i love this programme ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:26:40 PM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »
Hi Phil.
Yes, there is a "gotcha" for people who imported data before April 2013. Categories were imported as "Inactive".
No problem previously as Bank Genie was not actually doing anything with the setting.
In the updates in question, that has now changed.
I explained it in the very first bullet point in the section What are the most significant changes?
IMPORTANT:
Immediately after applying this Group Download, please run the program Setup>My Categories-BS420 .
Check the ACTIVE status of your Categories.-
If you imported data from Quicken or MS Money using exported QIF files prior to April 2013 you may find that all your Categories have been imported as INACTIVE.
A new Activate ALL Categories button is provided in BS420 to allow you to Activate all categories with one button click. This button is NOT visible when all your categories are ACTIVE.

Its good to reinforce that statement here, as it will no doubt help others.
As you and others have found, the single click of the button in My Categories fixes everything :)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
thanks yes i read the full page when i updated laptop and i actually read about the categories  ::)  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »
Tee hee ;D  You just happened to be the first to comment on it Phil. Hopefully the posting will captivate the attention of others :D

Offline barryl

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
Of course Phil wasnt the first to be bitten by the Gotcha - I had the plesaure of being the first victim  :( :( and the feature "make all active" was at my request as making them active one at a time was going to be extremely tedious....

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »
Indeed you were Barry - all part of being first to receive such major updates and yes, your suggestion to add that Button has proved very useful.
I'm very pleased to have these changes released after that long development and testing cycle - many thanks again.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
Re: Colin (Contraoboe):
Ah I wish you hadn't! At least I do not need the Category column to be so wide...

I made this additional change:-
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1978.0.html
Hopefully that will make everyone happy :D