Author Topic: Risk to dogs in the New Forest  (Read 4430 times)

NightHawk

Risk to dogs in the New Forest
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
There is currently a very worrying situation for dog-walkers in certain areas of the New Forest.

Since the beginning of the year 12 dogs have died from acute kidney failure after sustaining a cut/scratch to the body which allowed the infection into the bloodstream.

The initial cases came from an area around Ogdens in Fordingbridge, but the most recent case has been walks around the Smugglers Road-Picket Post-Vereley area (between Burley and the A31).

This most recent area is not far from where we live and we have walked here with our dog.  We were there last summer and thankfully didn't notice any symptoms as described, which seem to appear within about a week of being in an 'infected' area.

Extensive tests are still ongoing and are expected to last for at least another two months.

We have never let our dog (Yorkshire Terrier) off the lead in the New Forest, so we've always had full control of where she has gone.  This has always been a personal choice since we bought our dog.  The breeder we got her from told us of a few cases where the Yorkies had ran down a rabbit/fox hole and were never seen again.  We use an extending dog lead so there's enough freedom for her running about on it safely.

We've seen a lot of walkers who allow their dogs to run free off their leads into the undergrowth of briars and prickly bushes, and possibly other buried sharp objects.  Maybe this is how the infection is being introduced into these unfortunate dogs, but as yet this has not been determined.

Anyway, until this 'mystery toxin' is identified it is a very real concern and poses the dilemma as to whether or not you take the risk of still walking your dog in the New Forest.  We're going to be asking more questions before we make that decision, and stick instead to coastal walks for dog walking for the time being.

There are several different postings all over the Internet regarding these incidents for potential visitors to the New Forest with dogs to be aware of, and to keep updated.  As I live in the New Forest and have access to current local knowledge, I am posting this information here for the benefit of our Forum visitors.

Here is a link to the Forestry Commission website with more information.  Also click on the link at the bottom of the yellow box there for more updates.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Risk to dogs in the New Forest
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
That is certainly a worrying situation, Laurie. I hope they find the cause. I watch dog walkers on the common from our windows. Some let their dogs run free and others have those long extending leads that you describe. They seem fine for the smaller dogs and give them some sort of freedom but I think the large dogs really need to be able to dash around unleashed to expend a bit of energy. A neighbour has a couple of greyhonds which are incredible to watch dashing across the common.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »
We get a free newspaper delivered to our door every Thursday - New Forest Post.

On page 2 of this week's edition (11 April) is an article about it.  (The above link changes with each week's edition, so just select the 'Archive' tab and then click on the appropriate date for the edition concerned then the page number to read the particular article.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:24:07 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
That is a remarkable site for your local paper, Laurie. I wish we could access the Bucks Free Press as easily.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »
In this week's edition of the New Forest Post (18 April - page 6) there is a further update.

Unfortunately they're no further forward identifying this mystery illness  :(

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »
It is worrying that they can't trace the cause by now, Laurie.

I do like the way you can choose which copy of your local paper to view then choose the page you want. Very organised  :)

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
A final result of the testing to identify the deadly toxin has now been published in our local weekly free newspaper New Forest Post.

Not the result we were all hoping for, but it appears the scientists have done all they can with our current technology  :(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
It looks like they gave it a thorough investigation, but its a big worry that the advanced laboratory analytical methods and equipment available to modern science could not find the reason for this, Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
A disappointing result, Laurie. Are there more cases or has the risk faded away?

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »
The last confirmed reported case was in April 2013 Eric.

Whatever the cause, it appears to have either become dormant, diminished or disappeared.

Whether or not that's the actual end to the problem, only time will tell  :-\  :(

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
Sadly, time has told the same story again  :(  :'(

This appeared on the front page of our weekly local free newspaper...

We'll be closely monitoring the situation and pray that the deadly toxin can be identified this time around  :-\

If not, this is very worrying for dog owners who love to walk their dogs in the Forest - us included.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
Very worrying for you Laurie. I wonder why it has recurred ???? It is strange that in this day and age they can't trace the cause. Good luck, i sincerely hope your dog wont be affected.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
This problem was featured in the National News at lunchtime today Laurie, with camera action from your beloved New Forest region.
It showed that the mysterious killer is striking in other parts of the UK mainland - very worrying.

Research into the cause will hopefully be given more financial backing now that is spreading.

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
I didn't see that particular National News report George although I have been following the situation in the papers and on the BBC news website.

The majority of the cases have been in the New Forest but there were also others in Surrey, Cornwall, Worcestershire and County Durham.

Quite a wide area affected but still very baffling for the researchers.

One of the latest updated reports is from the BBC News website.