Author Topic: Borders  (Read 3030 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Borders
« on: August 26, 2006, 10:01:43 PM »
I have been searching for a text on this forum about George's opinion it is best not to use shrubs in a border consisting of perennials. I couldn't find it, so I start this topic. It is my idea it is perfectly possible to intermingle bulbs, annuals, perennials, shrubs and even little trees in a border if you take some care and prune sufficiently. In one of my borders grows a purple hazel and also a fruit tree (pears). This year it has rained pears on it.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Borders
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:24:46 PM »
Nice photo André! How old is the pear tree? Over here we have an expression "pears for your heirs" meaning it takes many years for a pear tree to produce fruit. That seems to be the case in my garden, with the variety "Conference".

Talk us through some of the plants in that border André.

The forum topic you were looking for is:
Gereral Category> General discussion> Kerria Japonica
I posted it after spending an "enjoyable" day trying to claim a part of my "herbaceous border" back from nature. The outburst was due to the difficulty I had in digging up roots of Kerria japonice and couch grass from an area which had more than it share of roots from shrubs.

I'd like to hear the opinions of our members on this subject. Please dont be shy folk - this forum needs your contribution to succeed.
Simply post a reply to the last message in this thread.

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:50:53 PM »
I like to have a good mix of plants in my borders, and have all sorts - perennials, shrubs, bulbs, trees - in them.  The only plants I tend not to grow are annuals, as I really don't have the room!  Every last inch of my borders are packed with plants!  This is good, until they start to get too big and take over - as things do in my soil, which fortunately is very fertile.  The garden is due for a major cut back when I can find the time!

Offline MargeSimpson

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:32:23 AM »
I love the idea of planting annuals, bulbs, perennials, etc all together in the one border. I haven't had too much experience of the maintenance yet but hopfully next year I will.
I have planted shrubs and perennials together, and over the last month of planted Spring bulbs in between. I saw Alan Titchmarch once planting tulips in small pots and burying the pots between perennials during their flowering season. I thought that was a great idea. I am going to try that and then plant annuals in the space after the Spring bulbs have finished.

I never realised how much thought and planning has to go into garden all year round. Trying to remember what flowers when is the hardest. When you can't work full time on a garden then the window of opportunity to do things is reduced.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
With careful selection and planning, the same space can easily be used for bulbs and bedding plants.

I dont dig up the bulbs. Since they are often 4 to 6ins deep, I plant the greenhouse grown annuals over them on a good heavy layer of compost.
A light loosening of the top soil with a small fork is all thats needed to get them planted.

The plan is to have the plants ready for planting out by the time the bulbs have died off.
Its easy with crocuses. They fade away quicker than Daffs and Tulips. If Daffs are still green leaf, I cut them just enough to make them look tidy, and plant the annuals in the gaps.
Annuals I find are good for this purpose are Stock, Asters, Nemesia etc.

Another 2 tier layer tip which works for me, discoverd by accident of course.
Ive been lucky this past few years and havent lost any Dahlias over winter. The Dahlia spots were becoming naturalised by crocuses, and they seem to co-habitate happily.
When Crocuses die off, I clear the area, and look for the Dahlias emerging. I have to be quick to apply a sprinkling of slug pellets for protection.