Author Topic: moving to laptop---back-up trouble  (Read 5719 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
moving to laptop---back-up trouble
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
Hi George
I am moving Genie Pro to a new computer lap-top. I haven't used it in a while being too busy with life and other reasons but maybe I get back into it. I couldn't get very comfortable sitting on my computer desk with the hulking thing of computer, no matter what I tried after a short time sitting there my neck was stiff, my shoulder hurt (they just don't make good computer furniture for short people) so in 2011 I got myself a small netbook and just sitting on my dining table pretty much cured my issue only the netbook didn't have enough power to use a lot of programs on it. I decided to get rid of the large computer and just get a lap top so now I want to move everything over and wanted to do a back-up to my flash  drive but I can't do it, I get an error message 3 important files are missing (do not exist), not sure where they went since I really haven't been hardly on that computer. Especially using Genie Pro.
The files are CATXREF, CATPPCDS, CATWTBKS

I think I am probably fine don't think I added anything new to the program, working in it since my last back-up (a long time ago) but I tried to back-up just in case.

If there is nothing we can do about it, don't worry about it. Probably won't loose any new data, at least I think I won't.

But I still would be interested what I would do if I have that issue again and what kind of files those are, what they do and Where the heck did those files go,  if I haven't used that computer for such a long time?....lol

Another thing, will I be able to use Genie Pro on Windows 8 since that's what I got with the new computer

Thanks

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: moving to laptop---back-up trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »
Hi Isabell and welcome back!
What's the weather like in Oregon?

You can install and run Ideas Genie Pro on Windows 8, so no problems there.

I'll send you an email and we can get your immediate problem resolved off line.

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
its typical Oregon spring weather, 2 weeks ago it was 67 f and sunny, then it started raining again, then it got down to 32 f, one day rainy the other sunny but cool then another warm day in between and today it's dry but coolish. But as long it's not a repeat from last year it should be a fine garden year. Last year it rained until almost mid June

keeping as busy as always......not as much computer fun. I have to admit I'm wasting time on Facebook, since it's one of the few places I can connect to my German family and friends spread all over.
I'm focusing this year mostly on potting up plants and taking cuttings from my favorite shrubs, we are planning selling our house in the next year or two to move to Portland. I miss the big city and Portland is just the right place for me with its sustainable, urban farm, green focus. So will be busy with getting ready for that big move.

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:21 PM »
installed and registered....I assume restore is the same as always so I'll find those instructions and see where that gets me

Thanks George

I am pleased to know it now can print to the brother label printer, I got one of those more then a year ago

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Good work! Nice to see you up and running on that new W8 laptop computer.
If you have problems with the restore, send me an email.

What model of Brother printer do you have Isabell?
What width of tapes do you have?

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »
not exactly running......the software in installed and works but I can't restore my data

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
As I replied in my email today, we are dealing with this by email Isabel.