Author Topic: A strange phenomenon  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
A strange phenomenon
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
A strange phenomenon

Along Bottom Road near West Wycombe the water had been draining from the fields onto the road. Water splashed onto the hedge by passing vehicles formed icicles and I stopped the car to record it on my iPhone. Just under the bottom left hand branch of the tree you might just be able to make out West Wycombe church tower on the top of the hill.

Eric H

NightHawk

Re: A strange phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
That is very unusual Eric - I've never seen that before.

Great shots with your new iPhone too  ;D

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
Fascinating, beautiful effects :)  Never seen anything like that before!

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
Great photos Eric  8) and an interesting link Phil 8)
With the emphasis on  8)
 ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
Nature is just so wonderful and magical  :)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Here's another weird thing, a frozen fountain.  This was taken in Charleston, South Carolina, at the beginning of January 2008.  The previous few days we had been walking about wearing lightweight jackets in relatively warm sunshine, but then one morning we woke up to this, and although it was still sunny it was much colder, yet there was no sign of any ice anywhere else, and the flowers seemed untouched by frost.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
Unbelievable!

I don't know what the climate is for South Carolina at that time of year Trish, but I think that occurrence would be worthy of further research to see what caused such a dramatic change in temperature  ;)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »
Nice link Phil  ;D

More lovely photos, Trish. Beautiful but strange. The same thing struck me with my icicles, the water on the road wasn't frozen, hence the splashing, but when it arrived on the hedge it froze.

ERic H

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »
Here's an interesting article in the Mail Online.  Similar to Eric and Trish's photos.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »
Nice link Phil  ;D

More lovely photos, Trish. Beautiful but strange. The same thing struck me with my icicles, the water on the road wasn't frozen, hence the splashing, but when it arrived on the hedge it froze.

ERic H

I hadn't realised that was how the icicles had formed.  I imagined that the early morning sun might have melted snow on the hedge causing it to drip and run down the twigs which then froze because they were no longer in the sun.  Just out of interest, do you recall which direction the hedge faced?

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
trish it was a link from facebook article, at least they know where the water pipe is leaking now  ;D, our house is fed by a natural spring about a quarter of a mile away for water and that froze over a couple of years ago when we had it bad no water for about 4 days until it thawed i found the pipe bit that had frozer it is now safely in a 9 inch pipe filled with expandable foam for insulation  ;D the offending pipe section was not buried as it went across a bit of a stream that was a lot lower than ground level

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Unbelievable!

I don't know what the climate is for South Carolina at that time of year Trish, but I think that occurrence would be worthy of further research to see what caused such a dramatic change in temperature  ;)

We didn't know whether or not it was unusual, but now having read this maybe it was!
http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/CharlestonSC/articles/CharlestonSouthCarolinaSeasonalWeatherInformation.cfm

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
What are these strange formations growing from my frozen potting bench two winters ago....?

I did find out their technical name at the time but can't remember now.