Author Topic: show us your potting shed :)  (Read 3456 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
show us your potting shed :)
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:57 AM »
Forgive me if a similar thread occurs elsewhere, I didn't spot it.   Since I found these few 2011 pics on photobucket they happened to include some pics of when I cleared out the potting shed.  Needless to say it's not nearly so clean and organized now :( .  It took ages to do, stacking and sorting millions of pots etc etc so I feel the pics should be shared, and I'd love to see where others spend their potting times :)

NightHawk

Re: show us your potting shed :)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
A nicely stocked potting shed there Trish  8)

We don't have anything as grand as that - not enough space really.  Kathy has a small area set aside at the bottom of our garage where she does her pottering about.  It's not done on a very large scale so it's big enough for us.

Although we're normally keen gardeners (not experts though  ;) ), last year we didn't do an awful lot in the garden.  We just seem to have had so many other things to do instead  ::)

Anyway, this year we're going to have to do a LOT of tidying work in the garden, but at the moment we haven't got a new planting scheme organised.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »
I read somewhere that you moved to where you are now from the north east.  Not sure how long ago that was but after a move it's always best to see how a new garden performs as is for the first year anyway, then make plans.  Looking forward to seeing pics of the results of your imminent tidying sessions ;)

My shed isn't nearly big enough;  I envy all those tv gardeners who have so much space.  I work between two or three wheelbarrows under that bit of carport in the pic, but it's not ideal as the barrows are too low for some jobs and cause much backache.  I wish someone would invent a barrow with retractable or fold-down handles and a press button pump to raise and lower the height.  The supposed work area in my shed is back to being piled high with 'stuff'.  By the end of a session outdoors I'm always so tired many things just get chucked in and safely locked up before I collapse.  I do though always hang my new secateurs back on their hook :)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
We moved here in December 2010, two weeks before Christmas.

As you say, it's best to wait a while in a new garden to see what appears and how it develops.  This is exactly what we did and we had some interesting results and some disappointments.

I'll probably get around to taking some more piccies when I get chance, most likely later in the year when things really start to flower.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
welcome trishs, i wish my shed was as tidy as yours its a cas of totter in sideways past the mower to find a spanner etc, this is my potting shed  ;D excuse the links as i dont have the actual pics on pc anymore

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1281.0.html

then i outfrew that  :o

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1459.0.html

obviously they look nothing like that now currently in the process of potting up 1000 xmas tree transplants

as you will find out i have started a xmas tree enterprise link to pics and fun
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1819.0.html

phil

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
hello Phil, sorry I forgot to reply to this the other day, although I did look at all the links.  That's a really substantial looking greenhouse, with a view!  I would love something like that :)

I have a tiny lean-to 'warm' greenhouse attached to our garage and an eight by eight or something similar, I don't quite remember what we bought so many years ago, which I try and keep frost free, and we also have a cold six by something in the veg garden.  None of them have space to work in, hence my potting shed, although I do also tend to do some early seed sowing in our 'studio' extension where I have a heated propagator.

Polytunnels are lovely to work and grow stuff inside.  We're no longer fit enough to manage the upkeep of one though but one of our oldest friends had one for many years.  Sadly her husband died last year and she has just sold up their large home and extensive garden because it was no longer manageable.  We holidayed there every year for thirty odd years and it's sad to think that we too will never again enjoy the garden which we watched change and grow over the years.  They also planted lots of Christmas trees on the land when they first moved there, and gradually sold them off in subsequent years.

I hope your young trees are doing well, despite the wet weather everywhere seems to have suffered this last year.  I was wondering if your land might be good for growing blueberries.  They seem to be flavour of the moment expensive superfood, but I know they need constant moisture to grow properly and produce a good crop.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
Hi Trish, thanks for comments, i dontknow if there is much call for blue berries on a commercial basis, the land and climate being on the edge of the gulf stream is ideal for xmas tree growing, most of the land round here is forestry, i started a blog which may interets you, i am looking at getting a larger tunel sometime in the future
http://limerickxmastreecentre.blogspot.ie/