Author Topic: Just Joined  (Read 4638 times)

Offline tractorboy

Just Joined
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Hi, Just downloaded Bank Genie 4 and registered for the forum. I only need it for my personal accounts but do like to keep one step ahead of online banking. I've been using 'Money Matters' from GSP for many years. It came free with our first desktop goodness knows how many years ago  ;D but is not compatable with our new laptop and I'd be a bit lost without something similar so I searched the net and am very happy with Bank Genie so far. One question though if anybody can help without scrolling through all the posts and help guide. On money matters I could 'hit' a projection icon and it would bring up the remaining direct debits/credit etc for the current month which I found very useful in order to see what finances would be left for the rest of the month. 'Hit' the icon again and the screen would revert back. Can anyone tell me if Bank Genie 4 has a similar facilty?

Cheers

Nick

NightHawk

Re: Just Joined
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Nick  :)

It's great to see new members participating and helping to keep the discussions going strong.

I can't personally answer your Bank Genie query (I'm not a user - yet  ;)), and George is away for the weekend visiting relatives in England.

He may be able to get onto the Forum before he returns, if at all possible, to answer your question but if not then please don't think you are being ignored.

There are a lot of other Bank Genie users on the Forum, so hopefully one of those may be able to jump in and help out.

Enjoy your time here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:05:22 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »
One question though if anybody can help without scrolling through all the posts and help guide. On money matters I could 'hit' a projection icon and it would bring up the remaining direct debits/credit etc for the current month which I found very useful in order to see what finances would be left for the rest of the month. 'Hit' the icon again and the screen would revert back. Can anyone tell me if Bank Genie 4 has a similar facilty?
Welcome to the forum Nick. I am an enormous fan of Bank Genie Pro4. I moved to Bank Genie some time ago having used Quicken for years. As Laurie says, George will no doubt answer your question, it is not a facility I use. However, if you click on "Set up" then "My user preferences"  and tick "Process Standing Orders on Startup" you will find a panel for processing Standing Orders appears every time you open the BG programme. Top right you find a button "Show due to this date. You can choose a date, say four weeks ahead, click on Refresh, then all Standing orders for the next four weeks appear as a list. What it doesn't do is give you a total amount for the SOs listed. Whether there is any way of doing this I don't know.
Good luck with it,
Eric

Offline tractorboy

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and Eric, thanks for the tip, I've tried it and although its not exactly the facility i was looking for it will be a help so cheers for that. I've just got so used to my little 'Money Matters' disc that i'm gonna miss it  :D but hey ho, onwards & upwards. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be wondering why i hadn't changed programme years ago.

Nick

Offline barryl

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
Welcome from me too. I am also a great fan of Bank Genire Pro 4 having helped to develop it :-)

There is also an option in User Preferences which calls the "process standing orders" program every time you open a fileset. Either way it tells you what is due.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:51:07 PM »
Hi Nick and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Many thanks Eric and Barry for answering your question. Exactly what I would have suggested.
Eric has explained the use of the date control.
Here's a screenshot from the User Guide to visualise what they have explained:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/429/bs429s01-1.gif

Here's my method.
Use that program described by Eric and Barry (BS429) and set the Show due to this date to a date in the future - say your next pay day.
Click the Refresh button (see screenshot above).
Click Process all .

Now use the program Manage Transactions (BS421).
All your Standing Orders, Direct Debits and regular payments are displayed.
The idea is now to Exclude or push excess transactions into a Pending area (the 999997 statement)

Lets say they are in Statement No 5.
If you are reconciling to todays date (say by checking online), use the Exclude button to move all transactions past todays date to the 999997 statement.
Use the Exclude (and the include in 999997) until you get a closing balance to match online.
(If reconciling to a Bank Statement from your Bank you would then click the Reconcile button)
Now Go to 999997 statement.
The running balance lets you see what commitments you have out until the date used in BS429.
Use the Include button in 999997 to bring them back to the last Statement Number if necessary.

Does that help?

PS (!!) you can also use the C button to mark off Cleared items.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:02:28 AM by ideasguy »

Offline tractorboy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
Thanks George, I do believe I've got it  :) I can now do exactly what I was asking so thanks to all for your input I can now rest easy lol.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
Thats great Nick! I've used that trick for many years. Didn't like what it told me sometimes  ::) but it put me firmly in control :D