Author Topic: Kerria japonica  (Read 2329 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Kerria japonica
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:15:39 PM »
The good old RHS says this grows to 6ft with a 8ft spread.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/harlowcarr/archive/harlowcarrpom04may.asp

What it doesnt say is that it grows that 8ft spread underground, in all directions, and puts up suckers, so the 8ft spread can start again.
You may have guessed, I regret planting one of these.
Today I tried to dig it out, and what a job!
It had legged it 4ft under my favourite climbing rose, wormed its way under a BOX HEDGE and popped up 1ft at the other side AND was growing happily as part of the hedge.

I feel embarassed to say, I had this little darling at the back of my Herbacious border.

My advice? Shrubs in any kind of border where you plan to plant flowers are a definite NO NO!!Roots are a pain when you have couch grass.

I saw a lovely Kerria specimen in Lady Dixon Park in Belfast (dont know the species and dont Kerr-ia -  ;D).
It was massive, 12 ft high and wider.
Thats where it belongs. Alternatively, plant in the center of a 10 acre field!

Anybody have good reports for this plant?

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Kerria japonica
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »
I have a Kerria japonica. It has its place beside a big fir-tree and I think that's the reason why the Kerria knows his rather humble place here in the hedge. The fir takes probably a lot of the water and feed and keeps his neighbour in fashionable shape. So I don't have any problem with it and nevertheless I'm no lord with a park.
About planting shrubs in a border: I think, George, that a few shrubs are a must if you want to have some firm structure in winter in the garden. Of course you have to choose them carefully. For instance Hydrangea quercifolia wouldn't that be a fine choice? Romke van de Kaa, former head gardener of Great Dixter advices the variety 'Snow Queen'.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 06:28:59 PM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Kerria japonica
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:00:58 PM »
In winter me and my garden have an agreement. We rest.

Thanks for the suggestion on the structural plants. Heres a we page that has them shown:
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/oakleaf.html
by Judith King

I do have a number of varieties of Hydrangeas, but not that species. I may try one! Yes, the white is a good suggestion! I like that autumn colouring, so should do well against the backdrop to the border - guess what? Japanese maples (my best ones grown from seed = More roots, and they have shallow roots!)

I do have a number of shrubs remaining in that herbacious border. Viburnum davidii (lovely low growing mound plant) and Cotinus (which needs pruned - afraid to touch it - the last one died) Plus Hibiscus syriacus (loads of buds, but oly a few half hearted flowers - they are attempting to flower right now (august) but the Irish sun level is not enough to make them open)
All 3 have lovely foliage.
Oh, and a Tree peony, grown from seed. It has huge, handsome architectural leaves, but is too vigorous.