Author Topic: Unwanted memorised entries  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Unwanted memorised entries
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
Bank Genie Pro 4 has a wonderful capacity for memorising entries which is extremely useful and speeds things up enormously. Unfortunately I am not always careful enough and have made typing errors which are also memorised. Does anyone know of a way to delete unwanted memorised entries?

Eric
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:22:40 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Unwanted memorised entries
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
Hi Eric
That would be me ::)

Here's a screenshot of predictive text in action when typing info into the Paid to field
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/bs421s03-14-predictive.gif

Bank Genie doesn't actually memorise what you type.
Instead, it does an interactive check (as you type) into transactions you have added previously.

Thus, if you have a mistype in a previous transaction which keeps showing up in predictive test, then the simple thing to do is to edit the transaction which has that mistype, and change it to a commonly used name.

The next question will be How do I find that past transaction?
You need to do a search using the Search tools in either the program Transaction Analyser-BS408 or the program Manage Transactions BS421
The Search button is a recent addition to BS421.
You can see it in this screenshot (right of screen)
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/bs421s01-11-cbutton.gif

NOTE: If you don't have the Search button and the C and NOT C buttons, download the latest version of BS421 here:http://www.bankgenie.net/support/Updates/updates.html

When you click the Search button, you get this screen:-
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/bs421s05-1-searchfeatures.gif
As the newspapers say "Read all about it" here:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/421/BS421S05/bs421s05.html

You will be able top search within the Paid to field in screen BS421S05 for the "guilty culprit(s)".
Select a transaction to be edited and click the Edit button.
In that way you will be able to fix them up quickly.
Once you have corrected them all, the offending text will not appear in the Predictive text any more.

Reply to let me know if this explains it all OK.
I will then add it to the Bank Genie User Guide FAQ section.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:16:54 PM by ideasguy »

Offline jgrahamf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
I have a slightly different problem with predictive text, in that I use temporary bank accounts using zero interest credit cards to pay for holidays, flights, hotels, car hire etc. When the credit card zero rate period comes to an end I pay off the card and delete the bank account. However the predictive text remains as a choice. Is there any way to edit the predictive text dictionary?

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Hi George,

That seems pretty clear to me. I have printed out your instructions and will apply them when next a "culprit" appears. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Thank you Eric!

Good morning James and its very nice to see you on the forum :)
You are something of a legend in the world of Bank Genie. I had a look over our email correspondence and find that you bought the very first edition of Bank Genie away back in 2005. You've upgraded as the system developed and now you using Bank Genie Pro 4.
Thank you for your continued support!

Using Zero interest credit cards in that way is a very good tip. Their intention (in my twisted opinion ::)) is to catch the user with a balance on their account which they cant pay off at the end of the zero interest period.

Now on to your problem.
First, Bank Genie doesn't keep a text dictionary. It does a look up into existing transactions for suggestions for predictive text.
When you delete an account, the transactions in that account are also deleted.
Thus, any predictive text which could come from that account is in effect deleted.

Ive added a temp account, and added a transaction with a Paid to name - Joe Bloggs temp.
When I go to add a transaction in any other account in that database, Joe Bloggs temp is offered when I type joe into the Paid to field.
I then deleted the account.
Now when I go to add a new transaction to one of the remaining accounts, and type joe into the Paid to field, the Joe Bloggs temp no longer appears.

Thus - to all - If you have a lingering Paid to predictive text name, please do the Search exercise suggested in my initial posting.
I expect it to be found in an active account. Make sure you search the entire database.

Comments please!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:34:01 AM by ideasguy »

Offline jgrahamf

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »
Thank you ideasguy. I did as you suggested and found that searching all active accounts with the predictive text from deleted accounts shows up all service transactions I made to the now defunct account. Me trying to be too clever again. However next time I get a misspelt predictive text I will know how to correct it with the search tool.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
Thanks James :)

So we all (ahem) understand this fully, were those service transactions done as Transfers?
i.e. the account on one side of the transfer is still active (and retains the Text in question which continues to be offered up in predictive text), the one on the other side is now deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:05:41 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Oscar Romeo

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Hi George,

I realise this is an old topic but does your solution apply to Transaction detail as well?  I  ask because I have failed to edit/correct my typing errors in that section.  Again what am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks

Richard

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »
Hi Richard

Yes, the solution does work for Transactions detail.

Follow the instructions explained in my posting on Jan 17th above.
Use Transaction Analyser.
Select a From Date from going back to start of data and Go.
When you get to the search screen, change the pop-up to Search within Spent on field

Does that help?

Offline Oscar Romeo

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
George

Thanks also for this reply,  I will try and follow the Jan 17 instruction as you say.  Apologies for delayed reply.  I have been North to visit my Mum and just got back have done the 22 Aug 14 Update download and will report back in a day or so.

Regards

Richard

Offline Oscar Romeo

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »
George

Ah success!  What flumoxed me when I first went about making the corrections, and there were plenty repetitions of each typing error to correct, the Search for Transactions - BS408S06 screen did not indicate that the correction had been acted upon, even though it had been correct on the Edit Transactions - BS421S03 screen, so I became disillusioned and aborted.  Now since I have returned to the task and I have persevered all is hunky dory.  Once I rippled through correcting each error, eventually the offending misspelt word disappeared.  Never to reappear, I hope!!  But that is up to my fingers.  Thanks again.

Richard 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »
That's great Richard.

Barry has requested a "mass editing" feature, which would have been useful in this case.
I will work on that when I get the more pressing development completed :)

Offline Tony Ray

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
Hi George,
Now on the forum as you suggested. Whay I haven't done this before I don't know.
Having a mass edit function would be a great idea which, in my round about way, was what I was trying to say in my recent emails to you.
Tony Ray

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Its already done in Version 5, Tony.
Not due for general release for at least a month, but now you are a member you will receive a message from the forum when I make that happy announcement :D

Offline barryl

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
The "mass editing" feature (which as George said I requested) is an absolute God send in the cases when you need it. Those cases include the subject of this thread; for example I found that transactions with the company called Ryman were sometimes entered as "Ryman" and sometimes "Rymans". Now I dont care which but I would like to only have one; using mass edit and searching for "Rymans" it is very easy to change it to "ryman".

Beware however; its a very powerful tool and not for the faint hearted. I would recommend a backup before experimenting.

(It is in the beta test version of Bank Genie 5)