Author Topic: HAPPY CHRISTMAS  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
HAPPY CHRISTMAS
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: HAPPY CHRISTMAS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
And a Happy Christmas to you Anthea and Benji, Eric - and to all our members.

Its lovely to hear all the Christmas music again. Get the shopping out of the way and enjoy the festive spirit.

Merry Christmas :)

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
Seasons greetings to Anthea, Eric, Benji, George and all our members.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:17:14 AM »
Merry Christmas Kathy and Laurie!
I'm sure you are feeling a difference in the winter climate now you are on the south coast.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:11 AM »
A big difference in climate here George - for the better too  ;)

Hard frost overnight though with temperature dropping to minus 3 degrees C.

Makes for lovely crisp, fresh walks in the New Forest.  Trees covered in hoarfrost give it a magical appearance - beautiful.

No sign of any snow yet, so don't know if we're going to get a white Christmas or not.  We're starting to stock up on essential foodstuffs now, just in case we get snowed in.  Not as easy to get to our local shops if you get snowed in, or if delivery vehicles don't manage to get through either.  The price you pay for rural living  :D  Wouldn't change it though.

Christmas decorations are going up in all the towns and villages nearby, so it's looking really festive.

Must check the weather forecast to see what's in store for us  :)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
The price you pay for rural living  :D  Wouldn't change it though.

;D fun isnt it at times,

merry xmas every one and a happy new year

Offline Helen Chapman

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
Merry Christmas, weather in Yorkshie cold but beautiful. Finished the present shopping now looking forward to the big day
Helen

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Merry Christmas Helen.

Glad to hear you're not a last minute Christmas shopper :D

Great that you can now just sit back and wait to see what Santa brings you  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Well, the Christmas tree is up here but its still a bit short of pressies underneath :-[
I'll write a note to Santa ;D

Offline bossgard

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »

Here’s a little bit of red and green color, to get all of us in the holiday mood!
I’m looking up at a holly tree that has been in my backyard for as long as I have.
The picture was taken in November.

So, to all the members of the Ideas Genie Community Forum –
May your Christmas be filled with joy and special moments?
And happy New Year, too!

From the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, WA) in the USA
-- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
Merry Christmas Toby!

Your Holly tree has a really good show of berries 8)
Ive seen quite large Holly trees in Hillsborough Park, close to me, but berries are sparse. Mind you that was after Christmas so perhaps the birds had taken some. Do the birds take the berries of you tree?

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Toby.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

I was just noticing when I was having lunch today that the Robins were just finishing the berries on this tree. Several weeks ago, I was taking some kitchen waste out to my compost tumbler, and when I passed very close to this tree, a ‘swoosh’ of smaller birds flew from it

I think they were some ‘snowbirds’ visiting for our winter months. Another Holly Tree planted about 10 to12 feet away from the former one is attracting the Robins now.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
What do snowbirds look like Toby. Dont think I have them here. Are they a UK visitor Laurie?
Post a link please if you can find a representative image.
Ive done a google image search and there is absolutely no consistency.

I thought Robins and blackbirds had deserted us - hadn't seen any for ages - but now the hard Winter weather has set in, I can see one Robin and a pair of blackbirds in the garden now. The Robin likes breadcrumbs (my daily chore) and at least some of the "experimental" seed mixes I put out.
We have a large flock of Starlings in the neighbourhood and they descend in droves when I do the daily replenishment.
The smaller birds, Robin and blackbirds get the pickings they leave. They are frequently on the Nut feeders and fat balls.
The dried worms are VERY popular with starlings and blackbird.
Its a rare day when I see a thrush - perhaps they are getting enough elsewhere.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:55:18 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
You may find this link useful George (if you haven't already come across it) - http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/junco.html.

This describes the Dark-eyed Junco which is commonly referred to as the 'snowbird.'  The confusion, and hence the inconsistency of the description, that surrounds the term snowbird is the reference to birds arriving in areas where snow appears - not a very technical or helpful term really  ::)

Anyway, it's not a UK visitor so we're not likely to see it over here.

Robins are all year round UK residents, so you've probably been a bit unlucky not to have seen much of them in your garden George.  They are very territorial, and most Robins in Britain and Ireland don't move more than 5km.  So once they arrive in your garden they are there to stay  ;)

We have a resident Robin, and Blackbird, in our garden which we see several times daily.  The song of the Robin is absolutely gorgeous, so melodic, and is one of my favourite songbirds.

As regards to the thrushes George, that is a more alarming situation.  The Song Thrush is experiencing a moderate decline in population - by over 50% between 1969 and 2006, with a slight recovery in recent years.  The Mistle Thrush to a slightly lesser degree.  Population fall by 45% since 1969 but this decline is believed to have now ceased.

In the New Forest where we live, the food sources and breeding potential is much more favourable to all specieis of birds.  I still put out seed and nuts in our garden feeders all year round.  Once you start to do this you should continue throughout the year as they rely on this as a stand-by food source.  It is particularly important when the frosts arrive making ground-foraging difficult for them.

And a contant fresh water source should not be forgotten.  We keep our bird-bath topped up with clean and ice-free water as much as possible.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
Thanks for the link Laurie. I knew I could rely on you for that ;)
It costs us a fortune, but yes, we keep the nut feeders stocked up all year round - and the bird bath is the best item anyone could add to a garden. We have a Rowan tree about 15ft away and directly in front of our dining room window. That's where we hang the nut feeders and scatter seed underneath on a flower bed (herbaceous so pretty much flat in winter). Great entertainment at mealtimes  :)

One worrying thing I read on that website:
Seed tossed on the ground gathers moisture causing the seed to spoil. This can be harmful to the birds.
I scatter all my seed for the birds on the ground, tarmac and flagged paths :o
It would be hard to prevent seeds becoming moist no matter what method is used here - its lashing as I write ::)
Whats your take on that?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:01:16 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »
Bird seed can go bad!

Over a period of time, wet seed that goes untouched by birds will develop a mould, which is harmful to birds.

Regardless of whether the seed is scattered on the ground or in feeders, the problem can still arise.

All of the wild bird seed we put out is in feeders, but rain and moisture can still get into them over a period of time.  We monitor the levels of seed quite carefully.  If no birds have been feeding for a while, we empty out the remaining seed and give the feeder a good wash in special anti-bacterial solution that is not harmful to birds.

We never scatter seed on the ground so as not to encourage rats coming into the garden.  Any small amounts of seed that gets dropped from the feeders by the birds are usually eaten quite quickly by other birds anyway, so there's not a lot of seed left to gather mould.

The other thing to think about for any seed on the ground in your gardens going mouldy, is that your pets could also eat it and become ill.

It's something most people aren't even aware of.  Usually the seed is eaten quickly and it's not a problem.  We have noticed long periods of time where birds don't visit our feeders, mainly because of an abundant food supply elsewhere around the New Forest.

Once you're aware of these potential problems it's always in your mind, and you can be vigilant and stop it from occurring.

P.S.  Raining here too by the way - has been all morning, and is forecast for the rest of the week.  Rather have that than snow though  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:57:41 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
We live and learn! Thanks Laurie

Personally, I will continue to spread seed on the ground for the groundfeeders - Robins, Blackbirds, Thrushes.
Most of it goes quite quickly so hopefully that wont do any harm to my feathered friends. Some larger seed appears to be unpopular so need to look out for that from now on.
I like to see the Doves arrive to pick on the tarmac patch outside my office window. I keep a vigilant watch and have been known to give substance to the cliche "Barking Mad" when I see a cat lurking.
Its good to see how the different types of birds are so sharing with scattered food. Ive noticed the occasional bad tempered bird within a flock of the same species, trying to bully the others. The victims take little notice, simply hopping to safety only a few feet away and finding more food ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone!

Not a white one here in the south of England, just lashing down with rain and blowing a gale.  Ho-hum  ::)

Kathy and I are still getting over the last remnants of a heavy cold/flu - that happened to me last Christmas too  :'(

Going out for Christmas lunch at 1pm with friends at a lovely local eating establishment in the New Forest.  That will cheer us up.

Have a great time  :)
11.20am - rain has stopped, skies are blue - hope this lasts for the rest of the day  :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:25:47 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »
Hope you both shake that flu off quickly Laurie.

Blue skies, sunny but cold here - a nice Christmas day.

Family all here this morning for opening the pressies, now we are off to Julian (our eldest boy, Jamess dad) and Naomi for a lovely turkey dinner.

Happy Christmas everyone :)