Author Topic: IGPRO & Xmas tree enterprise  (Read 4271 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
IGPRO & Xmas tree enterprise
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »
For some time now i have been thinking about how i can best use igpro to keep track of tasks and when what to do etc on my xmas trees

firstly i will start of with a pic and explain from that excuse the crudeness

as you can see from this pic i have 1 small field which has been my test field which i shall finish planting next year, behind that is a larger field which will be divided into 4 reasons for this is drainage the divisions will be open ditches tha ttake the water away from the springs etc,
each section of field will have the same years plants growing in it for approx 7 - 10 years, i think my best way is to treat in igpro the xmas trees as a gardener and a field as a garden divided into how many sections from 2014 4 section garden and name each section by year, i can then put in xmas tree name and how many what was done to that section before planting and after and when etc into the relevant upkeep sections of igpro, i would be able to keep track of tasks etc and have a reminder of when done and so forth

is this the best way of doing it or does it sound confusing, after the field divided into 4 there are more fields as you see from this greener pic

thoughts on this or is there an easier way
spot the house and back garden and field i have started on
phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: IGPRO & Xmas tree enterprise
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
Gosh, that's a lot of land Phil. Are the Xmas trees doing well in your type of soil?

You have a good plan there.
I would set it up in Ideas Genie Pro like this:

Gardener: Phil

Garden Division 1: Back Garden
Garden areas: Bed 1, Bed 2 etc

Garden Division 2: XMAS Trees
Garden areas: Field 1, Field 2, Field 3 etc.

It would be fairly easy to make that work Phil. What do you think?

Offline roiphil

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
i currently use about 6 acres but i have the opportunity/priveledge to use 40 plus, to achieve a good turnover i would be looking to sell 1000 a year which is aboiut an acre so each year i replant the number i sold, this year i have been asked for abot 2500 wholesale alone,

as for the plants i tried 300 noble fir but half of them died in the first year, and i found out that they dont like to much water and if your field is wet like mine to plant nordmann fir so i experimented last year and planted 150 of each, i replaced 7 nordmann fir and about 40 noble fir, so this year i planted all 300 nordmann fir and i shall do the same next year 300 again, the small field is a trial field i think i have it sorted now as to how to plant and grow them fingers crossed

As for igpro idea unfortunately that is installed on my other pc which has just gone kaput this morning, i am currently useing a backup pc i think i have igpro on my external storage thankfully i only backed everything up, documents, pictures etc last week so its not a complete loss just a pain, i need to connect to this pc and say what i actually backed up

the worstpart is all the websites i found that i use for info etc
phil
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:02:14 AM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
It must have been a bitter disappointment to lose half of your first planting. I'm sure it was a big relief to understand why, and better still to find there is an alternative which you are now growing. Trial and error can be expensive, so I hope it works out for you from now on. Now I see why you have been digging ditches and are planning to dig more!

Looks like demand is exceeding supply Phil! That's not a bad thing!! I'm really pleased to see you have such a good project going there - here's wishing you every success!

What a disaster with your computer! Even when you have backups its a pain, yes, but such a terrible inconvenience! Hope you get sorted out soon.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
Thanks, the trees have been one long learning curve its not just what sort to plant but how to plant, unrotavated ground or rotovated ground and so on,

hopefuly demand will exceed supply when i have some ready, but i know that i can sell them there is a market out there just got to be patient and plant more 1000 plus approx each year

luckily i have most stuff on the external hardrive, and dropbox, most importantly i have BG on my laptop  ;)

my pc guru said on the phone, thats strange  ???  ;D  but he reckons he can sort it so hopefully all will be well after xmas

phil

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »
Well i completely forgot about this topic but IG PRO is working well for my xmas tree planning keeping record of etc i have it installed on my laptop as i can take it outside if i need to to update etc, a lot has happened since i last posted the back field has been put on hold due to a well  :o  ::) best explaned here in the OCTOBER OOPS
https://www.facebook.com/XmasTreesIreland/app_9953271133

I will explain how i have set up in IG PRO tomorrow if i get time as i think it may come in usefull for vegetables etc

Offline roiphil

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
as promised I know been a while but this is how I have setup my garden area in IGPRO for my xmas trees you will note the area and years

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »
Looking real good, Phil!

Heres a link to your website for all those interested:
http://www.limerickxmastreecentre.com

Offline roiphil

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
Thanks for putting link in george, i think the way i have it set up in igpro is ideal as i can add garden areas the 1.5l, 5l etc is pot sizes

phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
Glad it was the right link Phil. Did a search for your business.
Good luck with your enterprise. Its obvious that you have put in a lot of hard work, investment and planning for the future.
I wish you every success :)