Ideas Genie Pro > Tutorials

Multiple specimens of same plant in different garden areas

(1/4) > >>

Trevor Ellis:
I have three plants each of the same genus,species and cultivar. One of them is recorded as a specimen and allotted to a garden area. The other two plants need to be recorded each as specimens and each one of them to be allotted to different garden areas. Would you mind running through the procedure to do this George - for the life of me I can't remember. I thought that the method may be to use 'Duplicate plant' but I just get notification that the plant already exists. Can't find any 'how to' references in the tutorials either. I thought that maybe I could add a different digit to the end of each plant and that might allow them to be recorded as separate specimens. Just like to be clear re. the best/correct method.

Cheers,

Trevor

ideasguy:
Hi Trevor

Each plant in Ideas Genie has one plant profile and all its associated data.
That plant can have multiple specimens.
You have created one specimen.

Method 1
To create another, edit the plant again in GA004, GA037, GA027 etc and get into GA100S36 and click the Specimens button.
You then click the Add button and get to screen GA100S23 and compose the data for your specimen.

Method 2
An alternative method is described in this project:-
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/wolbdemo/

This link jumps to adding a specimen in that project:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/wolbdemo/html/specimens.html

and when you get to Page 5 it shows the screen GA100S23 exactly as method 1 above:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/wolbdemo/html/specimens5.html

Howzat?

Trevor Ellis:
Thanks George,
I was going through that procedure already but in the 'Specimen name' in GA100S23 I was putting Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata' in the second and third acquisitions since that is their name and was getting a rejection pop-up since the specimen name already existed. Putting Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata' A2 and Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata' A3 in the relevant 'Specimen name' boxes solved the problem. By the way I did find that I couldn't enter the full taxonomic entry i.e Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata' The King. This one is a bit confusing since some suppliers list, describe and display photographs of that plant and Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata as different plants. I do seem to remember that in the past I've not been able to enter the full name of a plant since there has not been enough space. Would it be easy to allow more space in that box George?

The next query (sorry George) is this:

I linked a photograph of Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata' A1, which I have had the longest with no problem except that the same photograph became automatically linked to A2 and A3 both of which are much younger plants. Is there a way of linking only the specific photograph/s of each individual acquisition to each plant so that there is a photographic record of each plant's progression?

ideasguy:
I may drop the Specimen name in the next version Trevor.
Currently it demands a unique name within a Genus.

It was provided at design time for identification, but I have a feeling it is unnecessary.
The Accession No is sufficient to identify a specimen.

You can link photos to Specimens as follows:
Use (e.g.) Quick Link Photos - GA030.
Select a photo in the initial screen GA030S01 and click the Plant Photo button.
Screen GA030S03 appears.
In the upper part of the screen you will see two pageframe tabs:

* Photo details
* Specimens
Select a plant.
If it has specimens, the Specimens tab is enabled.
Click that tab and select the required specimen.

Howzat?

Trevor Ellis:
Hi George

I used the GAO30 sequence, checked that everything pointed the image to the correct specimen etc but the photograph was still also appearing attached to the other two specimens as well. I've checked and rechecked everything several times but still can't the photograph to attach solely to the single specimen.
I've un-linked all images to the species to provide a 'clean sheet' and re-tried but still the same thing happens.

Hair pulling out time - any thoughts (about the photo's - not the hair)?

Cheers,

Trevor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version